Pi Eta Society Play

The rehearsals for the Pi Eta society's two act comic opera, "Prince Punjab," have been in progress for over six weeks, and it now seems certain that by Graduates' Night, a week from Friday, the Society will have perfected on of the best plays it has yet produced. The book and lyrics are by P. L. Coonley '03, the author of "Queen Philippine," the play given last year. The plot, which is laid in India, has many ingenious situations for which the peculiar superstitions of that country in regard to the preservation of the idols of Buddha give foundation. The music by A. w. Denison '03, has the spirit, and liveliness that was the chief characteristic of the "Queen Philippine" music, which he also composed. It will be rendered entirely by members of the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

A majority of those in the cast have had experience either as principals or as members of the chorus in previous plays of the Society. Among those who were leading characters in "Queen Philippine" are I. T. Cutter '03, J. C. Miller 2L., R. Wellman '03, and A. S. Proudfoot '03. Besides the ten principals there are in the cast eight rajah's guards, six special dancers and a main chorus of twenty-four. The costumes are thoroughly oriental in design and of unusually brilliant colors.

N. H. White '95, the graduate coach of the society's plays since 1897, is again in charge. As usual, Mr. John J. Coleman, who has coached the cadet and Bank Officers' plays, has had special direction of staging the choruses, and he has this year been assisted by his son, Mr. Charles Coleman, who has given his entire attention to the special dances.

The cast follows: The Rajah of Mandalay,  I. T. Cutter '03 Sthu Pid, Guardian of the Idol,  J. C. Miller 2L Punjab, a Sailor,  T. A. Whidden '05 John Cass, an Antiquarian,  R. Wellman '03 Eben Roger, Mayor of Unity, Maine,  C. P. Whorf '05 Captain Kahn, of the Rajah's Guard,  R. c. Paige '03 Kahran Kehoorbad, a Hindoo Priest,  C. Dill '04 Princess Gara, Daughter of the Rajah,  A. S. Proudfoot '03 Lily Roger, Daughter of Eben Roger,  G. H. Wise '03 Sue Brett, Her Maid,  D. P. Cook '05

The following dates have been arranged: Wednesday, April 15, Dress Rehearsal; Friday, April 17, Graduates' Night; Monday, April 20, Auditorium, Malden; Tuesday, April 21, Matinee, Hollis street Theatre; Friday, April 24, Huntington Hall, Lowell; Tuesday and Wednesday, April 28 and 29, Cambridge, Pi Eta Theatre.