WELD 1903 AND 1904 WIN

Newell Crews Decisively Beaten--Final Interclass Races on Monday.

The Weld Boat Club yesterday won another double victory in the preliminary interclub class races, both the Senior and Junior Weld crews winning their heats from their Newell opponents. Particularly fast time was prevented by a heavy rain, although the wind was favorable and the water calmer than on Tuesday. Neither race was particularly close; the Seniors won their heat by about two lengths, and the Juniors their by three. In both the Weld crews gained slowly and steadily throughout.

The first race, between the Weld and Newell Juniors, was started at 4.40 o'clock, the Weld crew being placed next to the Beacon street wall, with the Newell on the outside. Both crews caught the water together, and soon settled down to a stroke of 32. The Weld boat shortly began to forge ahead, and at the Harvard Bridge led by a length and half. This lead was gradually increased to a margin of three lengths at the finish, just before which the Weld crew spurted. The time was 10 minutes and 24 seconds.

The Senior race started at about 5.10 o'clock with the Newell crew next the wall, and a stronger wind than in the previous race. The Weld boat got under way first and at the half mile was a length ahead. Just before reaching Harvard Bridge the Weld crew was rowing a 33 stroke to the Newell's 32, and at this rate was able to increase its lead to two lengths by the time the mile and a quarter mark was reached, although the Newell crew spurted just after passing the bridge. At the finish the Weld boat was a little over two lengths ahead. The time of the race was 10 minutes and 13 seconds.

The orders of the winning crews were as follows:

Weld Seniors--Stroke, S. H. Wolcott; 7, Hartwell; 6, Derby, 5, Bent; 4, Greenough; 3, Ernst; 2, Roberts; bow, George; cox., Kelley.

Weld Juniors--Stroke, Dillingham; 7, Minturn; 6, Sanger; 5, Bleakie; 4, Lindsley; 3, Lloyd; 2, Macomber; bow, de Rham; cox., Swan.

The officials were: Referee--F. L. Higginson, Jr., '00; judges--R. A. Derby '05, A. Hemenway, Jr., '05; timekeepers-- H. Bullard '02, M. R. Brownell 1L.

The final race for the class championship will be held on Monday afternoon between the four Weld class crews and the Law School crew. The arrangements for the race and the appointments of officials will be made the latter part of this week.