PENNSYLVANIA GAME TODAY.

University Nine Plays in Philadelphia.--Clarkson Will Pitch.

The University baseball nine will play the University of Pennsylvania on Franklin Field, Philadelphia, this afternoon at 3 o'clock.

Although defeated twice this season in close games by Yale, once by the University of Virginia and once by Brown, the Pennsylvania team is a strong one, and will doubtless make the game today a very hard contest for the University nine. Last Saturday Pennsylvania defeated Princeton by a score of 7 to 3 in a twelve inning game, and in this game as well as previous ones showed not only that the team is strong in batting and fielding, but that it has two excellent pitchers in Devlin and Groves.

Last year Harvard defeated Pennsylvania in two games by scores of 8 to 5 and 1 to 0, the first game being won by a batting rally that scored four runs in the last two innings.

The University team is still far from a satisfactory stage of development in either fielding, batting or base-running. The fielding has often been sharp and fast, but shows too many lapses to be called reliable. The batting throughout the season has been weak, though in the last three games some improvement has been evident. The base-running has been at times brilliant, at other times very stupid, and in general erratic. Coburn and Stillman have been pitching with fair effectiveness, and Clarkson's work has, as usual, been very strong, though he has hardly reached as yet his highest point of development.

In the game today, Clarkson will pitch, Stillman will play centre field, and either Daly or Stephenson will play right field.

The probable batting orders of the teams will be as follows: HARVARD.  PENNSYLVANIA. Carr, 3b.  s.s., Orbin Coolidge, 2b.  2b., Swain Matthews, s.s.  1b., Gladfelter Randall, 1b.  l.f., Wilder Clarkson, p.  r.f., Noble Daly, Stephenson, r.f.  c., Cariss H. Kernan, l.f.  3b., Stites Stillman, c.f.  c.f., Howes R. Kernan, c.  p., Groves, Devlin