YALE DEFEATED IN TENNIS.

University Team Wins Four Matches in Singles and Two in Doubles.

On Saturday Harvard defeated Yale in the dual tennis meet on Jarvis Field by the score of 6 matches to 3. The University team won four of the six matches in singles, and two of the three matches in doubles. The play on both sides was good, although the players were handicapped by the high wind and clouds of dust.

The most interesting match in the singles was that between Leonard (H.) and Plummer (Y.) Leonard, through ability to pass Plummer at the net, and great accuracy in his cross-court strokes, won two straight sets, 7-5, 6-4. By fast, aggressive play, Blagden (H.) defeated Sturgis (Y.), 6-2, 6-1, and Warland (H.) defeated Sargent (Y.), 6-3, 6-3. Larned (H.), by slow, but remarkably steady tennis, defeated Collins (Y.), 9-7, 9-7, Bishop (H.) was not in his usual form and Condict (Y.) defeated him, 6-4, 6-2. Cole (Y.) defeated Prentice (H.), by more accurate placing, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.

The best match in the doubles was the one between Leonard and Warland (H.) and Plummer and Condict (Y.), and was won by Leonard and Warland, 6-2, 6-3, 10-8. Both pairs showed excellent team play and Warland was very effective in passing his opponents at the net. Sturgis and Sargent (Y.), through excellent play at the net, defeated Blagden and Bishop (H.), 6-4, 12-10, 7-5. Larned and Prentice outplayed Collins and Cole (Y.) and won their match, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2, 6-1.