CHANGES IN FOOTBALL RULES.

Mass Plays Partially Eliminated.--Quarterback Takes the Ball.

At the last meeting of the Intercollegiate Football Rules Committee in Philadelphia on Saturday, the work of revising the present code was completed. It was agreed that seven men should play in the rush line of both the attacking and defending teams. When, however, the ball is within either of the twenty five yard lines, either team may play as formerly with only five men in the line.

At an earlier meeting, it had been decided to allow the quarterback to run with the ball without its touching a third person's hands. At the final meeting of Saturday, however, an additional rule was made forbidding the quarterback to plunge through the centre directly after receiving the ball on the snap back; requiring instead that he first run out five yards to the side. In order that the officials may be sure that the man does run out five yards, the field is to be marked with five yard lines lengthwise as well as crosswise.

It was further decided that the fullback can no longer put his men "on side" after a punt by running ahead of the ball. Holding will no longer cause the loss of the ball, but will be penalized by a loss of twenty yards.

As previously announced, it was ruled at an earlier meeting that the hard leather head-piece, as worn during the last few years, must either be so modified as to lose its capability of injuring an opponent, or must be altogether eliminated from the game. It had also been previously decided that after a touchdown the teams will change sides; but that the side scored upon will have the choice of kick-off.