UNIVERSITY FOOTBALL BEGINS

Williams Defeated 17 to 0.--Preliminary Practice of the Squad.

The Harvard football team began its season last Saturday by defeating the Williams eleven, 17 to 0. Only four regular members of last year's team were in the line-up, but the new men joined in the play with such spirit that there resulted an exhibition of fast, effective football which is not generally seen until much later in the season. Except for the total absence of mass plays, the style of play under the new rules did not appear materially different from that of last year. there were no trick plays and but little punting.

End runs were the principal means employed by the University team in advancing the ball, the line holding together so well and the interference in many instances being s effective that a number of long gains were made. Williams was practically unable to make any impression on the University line and in the few instances that she had possession of the ball was invariably forced to punt. In advancing the ball the Harvard line-men sometimes showed a tendency to let their opponents through too soon, but nevertheless succeeded in giving considerable aid to the runner and were in large measure accountable for the high average of the gains.

Robinson at guard, Nichols at half-back, and Captain Marshal at quarter-back, played excellently throughout the time they were in the game. Schoelkopf filled his position well, but failed to follow his interference closely enough or to pick openings as well as the other runners. Except in a few instances the team played in a business-like manner that augured well for a successful outcome of the season's work.

The three touchdowns, all of which were made by Nichols after his excellent runs had placed the team within striking distance, were the result of steady line plunges and fast end plays by the three backs. None of the linemen were used to carry the ball. The first touchdown was made in about three minutes of play; the last a few minutes after the beginning of the second half on a 28 yards run by Nichols. Harvard lost the ball only once directly or indirectly through penalties, and that time on downs when a 20-yards loss had been inflicted for holding in the line. the game ended with the ball in Williams' possession on their own 25-yards line.

The summary: HARVARD  WILLIAMS. Mills, l.e.  r.e., Jaeckel. Parkinson, l.t.  r.t., Bixby. Shea, l.g.  r.g., Dennett. Carrick, c.  c., Pease, Eldred. Robinson, Coburn, r.g.  l.g., Heermance. Knowlton, r.t.  l.t., Murray, Burgess, r.e.  l.e., Lewis, Curtis. Marshall, q.b.  q.b., Jayne, Williams. Nichols, Randall, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Watson, Judson Schoelkopf, Lindsay, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Gutterson, Brown. Harrison, Hanley, f.b.  f.b., Peabody, Durfee.

Score--Harvard, 17; Williams, 0. Touchdowns--Nichols, 3. Goals from touchdown--Marshall, 2. Umpire--J. Lawrence, Jr., '01. Referee--J. W. Hallowell '01. Linesmen--R. Lawrence '02, of Harvard, and Lincoln, of Williams. Timekeeper--F. Wood, B. A. A. Time--10 and 8 minute halves.

Under the direction of Head Coach Cranston and Captain Marshall, about fifty men reported for early football practice on September 17. Since that time the squad has been increased to about eighty men, and judging from the recent rate of increase, by the time of the opening of College probably the usual large number of candidates will have appeared. With the exception of Sugden, all the members of last year's team who intend to play this season have returned. The material so far available is not so heavy as that of last year, but there is greater uniformity of playing ability among the men, which should make the contest for positions very spirited and even. the competition for places on the team will be kept up until late in the season.

Bowditch 1L., Mills '05, ends; Knowlton 1L., Shea '04, tackles; A. Marshall 3L., guard; and C. B. Marshall '04, quarterback, are the members of the 1902 eleven who are again candidates for the team. Hurley '05, halfback; Harrison '05, fullback; Burgess '04, and Clothier '04, ends, are the regular substitutes, who have returned. It is probably that at least two of the regular players mentioned above will be given thorough trials in other positions. Mills will be tried in Graydon's old place at fullback, and Shea will be used if possible at guard. Robinson '04, is making a strong fight for one of the guard positions and has been doing excellent work up to this time. Parkinson, of last year's Freshman eleven, has been used with some success in Shea's former position at tackle. For halfbacks, Schoelkopf 2L., a former Cornell fullback, Randall '05, and Nesmith and Nichols of the Freshman team last year, appear to be promising candidates. Among those trying for fullback are Meier '04 and Sperry '06; for ends, Montgomery '06, Jones '04 and Bartels '06; for guards and tackles, Bleakie '04, Coburn '04, Lehmann '05. For center, three good men are Sugden 1L., Upham '06 and Wilder '05, who is temporarily on the sick list. Carrick '06, who has been tried in the position recently, has shown little aptitude for the place as he is decidedly lacking in aggressiveness.

At present the principal obstacles to be overcome in the development of the team appear to be the scarcity of backfield material, especially of substitute quarterbacks, the light weight of the candidates, and the lack of punters. A great many new men, however, are expected as candidates within the next few days and the difficulties now experienced should in large measure be alleviated.

Among the graduates who have been assisting in the coaching are: B. G. Waters '94, J. Dunlop '96, R. W. P. Brown '98, J. Lawrence, Jr., '01, J. S. Lawrence '01, P. d. Haughton '99, F. W. Hallowell '93, D. S. Dean '91, F. S. Newell '92, C. H. Barnard 2L., T. H. Graydon '03, E. H. Greene '02, and R. Lawrence '02.

The practice yesterday was unsatisfactory and in view of the excellent work in the Williams game discouragingly retrograde. The interference was wretched and the playing of the entire eleven very loose. The runner was given so little protection that he was frequently thrown for a loss. The second eleven, also, once succeeded in blocking a kick. In defensive work, the team played much better, but still left much to be desired. Throughout the practice there was too much individual play and little or no team-work. Life and spirit almost entirely lacking.

Within half a minute after the line-up of the two teams the University eleven scored a touchdown after a fumble had given them the ball on the second eleven's 2-yard line. After that the ball was given to either side without regard for the number of downs, but neither team was able to make any substantial gains. The teams lined-up as follows:

FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN.Clothier, l.e.  r.e., ShurtleffParkinson l.t.  r.t., LehmannShea, l.g.  r.g., CoburnCarrick, c.  c., UphamA. Marshall, Bleakie, r.g.  l.g., McFaddenKnowlton, r.t.  l.t., SquiresBurgess, r.o.  l.e., MeansC. B. Marshall, q.b.  q.b., GoodhueRandall, l.h.b.  r.h.b., KentSchoelkopf, r.h.b.  l.h.b., HurdMeier, f.b.  f.b., Sperr