DEBATING SYSTEM CHANGES.

New Regulations and Eight Amendments Adopted by Debating Council.

A meeting of the University Debating Council was held yesterday afternoon to consider the various changes that have been proposed for the University debating system. These consisted of five proposed changes in the debating regulations and eight amendments to the constitution of the Council.

Of the proposed changes in the debating regulations, parts of four were adopted, although several of them were greatly modified in form, one being in the form of an amendment to the constitution.

Although the first proposal, providing that the judges choose the six best men instead of the final team of three, was not adopted, it was voted that the coach might replace any member of the first team when it seemed for the best interests of the final team, if the consent of a majority of the original board of judges was obtained.

In regard to the first part of the second proposal no action was taken. It was also decided that instead of sitting at trials as advisor to the judges, as was proposed, the coach should be one of the five judges.

The third suggestion, providing that the three members of the second team should rank equally, no one member being designated as alternate, was not adopted as the present competition among men for the position of alternate was considered a valuable stimulus to better work on the part of the second team.

The fourth proposal, which restricts the eligibility of coaches to members of winning teams, was not adopted, as the services of some of the best men would thus be lost. Instead of adopting the plan of having men coach in rotation, the Council posted an amendment to its constitution, to be voted on at the next meeting, which provides that the president shall endeavor, to secure a coach for the first intercollegiate debate of the year at the end of the previous year, and, for the second debate, at the beginning of the College year.

In regard to the fifth proposal; which relates to the intercollegiate debating rules, the Council voted to endeavor to secure a change, which shall extend the time between the submitting of the question and the choice of side from ten days to twelve.

All eight of the proposed amendments to the constitution were adopted, the most important being that establishing a debating manager, an officer whose duty it will be to take charge of all arrangements for intercollegiate debates held in Cambridge, except in regard to the submitting and choice of side of the question, and the selection of the presiding officer and the judges. Another important amendment was one providing that the vice-president shall secure, at least a month ahead, critics for the meetings of the University, Sophomore and Freshman Clubs.

Professor I. L. Winter suggested that men, who intend to try for University debates, should not postpone their training in election until they have made the team, but should begin it immediately. He expressed his willingness to form special classes for all such men.