CONGRESS OF SCIENCES

International Convention at St. Louis Exposition--Many Harvard Men Invited

The International Congress of Arts and Sciences, which will be attended by invited delegates from all over the world, will hold its first session in the Hall of International Congresses at the St. Louis Exposition on Monday, September 19. The purpose of the committee in charge is to have "an international congress whose objects are to discuss and set forth the unity and mutual relations of the sciences, to review their historical growth, to develop their fundamental principles, and to promote mutual sympathy and co-operative effort among specialists engaged in different fields of research." The officers of the congress are: Simon Newcomb S.'58, president; Professor Hugo Munsterberg h.'01, of the Department of Philosophy, and Professor A. W. Small, of the University of Chicago, vice-presidents.

The congress is divided into seven divisions, as follows: normative sciences, historical sciences, physical sciences, mental sciences, utilitarian sciences, social regulation and social culture. These divisions are sub-divided into 24 departments and 129 sections. After the general meeting and formal opening on September 19, at which the president of the congress will deliver an address on its relation to scientific progress, the seven divisions will hold meetings, at each of which an address will be given on the general subject of the division, with particular reference to its inner unity. On Tuesday, September 20, the 24 departments will hold their sessions. In each of these, two addresses will be given. During the remaining days of the congress the 129 sections of the departments will hold meetings. Two addresses will be delivered at each of the section meetings, one on the relations to other sciences and one on the problems of today. Several shorter communications may also be presented.

During convocation week the invitation committee of the congress met in St. Louis to decide upon the delegates to be invited. Of all the institutions to which it was decided to send invitations, no university received a fuller representation than Harvard. It will be some weeks before the invitations are sent out in several departments of the University; the complete list of the men so far invited is as follows:

For division speakers--Professor Royce and Mr. Alexander Agassiz '55, director of the University Museum.

For department speakers--President Eliot '53, Professor C. E. Norton '46, Professor G. F. Moore, Professor T. W. Richards '86, Professor E. C. Pickering S.'65, Professor W. G. Farlow '66, Professor F. W. Taussig '79, Professor F. G. Peabody '69, Professor N. S. Shaler S.'62, and Professor M. Bocher '83.

For section speakers--Dean J. B. Ames '68, Professor C. H. Toy, Professor G. L. Kittredge '82, Professor C. R. Lanman, Professor J. H. Wright, Professor T. Smith, Professor J. J. Putnam '66, and Professor A. L. Lowell '77.

For chairmen--Professor W. W. Goodwin '51, Professor G. H. Palmer '64, Professor M. Warren, Professor K. Francke, Professor J. Trowbridge S.'65, Professor W. James M.'69, Professor W. M. Davis S.'69, Professor E. L. Marks, Professor C. S. Minot P.'78, Professor H. P. Bowditch '61, and Professor F. W. Putnam S.'62.

In addition to the men named above to whom invitations have been sent, and the other American delegates, about 150 of the most eminent scholars from abroad will attend the congress.