IMPROVEMENT IN PRACTICE

First Eleven Scored Three Touchdowns. Offensive Work Fast.

The scrimmage practice of the University football squad yesterday afternoon was marked, on the part of the first eleven, by fast offensive play, with several sensational runs for long gains. In the first part of the 12-minute half, with the ball on the 40-yard line, Nichols broke through the second's line and ran 70 yards for a touchdown. Kernan kicked an easy goal. The second score for the first team was made by Wendell on a 10-yard line plunge, after he had advanced the ball from the middle of the field by a long run around left end. Kernan again kicked the goal. The third score for the University eleven was made just at the close of the practice. The ball was passed to Kernan on his own 5-yard line as if for a punt, but on receiving it he went around right end and by excellent dodging through the whole second eleven, ran 105 yards for a touchdown.

The signal practice developed a new formation, whereby the end and tackle of one side of the line drop into the backfield and replace the fulback and one of the halves, who take their places on the other side of the line. Some attention was also given to developing a good interference formation for running in the kick-off.

Several new men were on the field for the first time yesterday, and Captain Hurley, who has not been out with the team for the past week, was present, but was not in the line-up.

During the hour of preliminary work W. H. Lewis '95, and G. W. Bouve '98, coached the centres and guards, F. D. Cochrane '99 and M. Donald '99, the tackles and ends, and R. P. Kernan '03, the punters.

The line-up: FIRST TEAM.  SECOND TEAM. Jones, l.e.  r.e., Preston, Hall, Leary Paul, Meier, l.t.  r.t., Jackson, Corbett Parker, McFadon, l.g.  r.g., Pell White, c.  c., Barney Squires, r.g.  l.g., Brown Sibley, Carr, r.t.  l.t., Williams Montgomery, r.e.  l.e., Lee, Pope Kernan, q.b.  q.b., Sortwell Nichols, Reynolds, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Forbes Wendell, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Mullen, Chapin Hanley, Sperry, f.b.  f.b., Jenkins