Princeton Letter.

At the close of the Thanksgiving recess on Monday, November 29, forty-two men reported in response to the call for basketball candidates. Practice has been held daily since then, and the players have been coached by Captain Vanderbilt '06 and Coach Cooper. Of last year's team and substitutes the following are back this year: O. deG. Vanderbilt '06, A. Ely, Jr., '05, R. E. trone '05, J. G. Roper '05, W. H. MacCrellish '05, R. A. Bard '06, E. A. Gerhard '06, G. M. Uptegrove '06, H. W. Ambrose '06, H. C. Kahler '06, E. O. Howell ''07, P. Norton '07, D. M. Hooks '07, W. E. McLean '07.

The schedule of the university team is as follows>

December 10--Fordham at Princeton.

January 10--Swarthmore at Princeton.

January 12--Cornell at Princeton.

January 18--Pennsylvania at Princeton.

January 21--Yale at New Haven.

February 10--Colgate at Hamilton, N. Y.

February 11--Cornell at Ithaca.

February 15--Columbia at Princeton.

February 18--Pennsylvania at Philadelphia.

February 22--Yale at Princeton.

February 24--Columbia at New York.

Twenty-seven men were awarded their numerals for playing on the second football team last fall. Of these ten were seniors, ten were juniors, five were sophomores and two were freshmen.

The track prospects are very bright as number of men who were ineligible last spring will be able to compete during the coming season. The members of last year's team who have graduated are Captain L. M. Adsit in the distance runs, J. R. Dewitt in the weights, J. N. Carter in the hurdles, G. fox, Jr., in the broad jump, and G. M. Goldsmith in the quarter-mile. The members of last year's team who will be able to compete this year are Captain R. E. Williams in the mile and half-mile, S. Rulon-Miller '07 in the dashes, N. B. Tooker '06 in the high jump, J. L. Eisele '06 in the two-mile, J. C. Atlee '07 in the quarter-mile, and J. E. Grimes '08 in the broad jump.

The out look for the hockey team is also promising. L. B. Purnell is the only member of last year's team to be lost by graduation, and the following members of the team will be able to play this year: Captain R. H. Leake '05, C. C. Levis '07, A. F. King '05, J. Zahnizer '07, J. Chislett '07, E. L. Rafferty '06. Twenty-seven candidates reported on December 6, for the first practice of the year, most of them trying for forward positions. An outdoor rink for the use of the team is being constructed on the tennis courts below Brokaw Field.

Rev. W. M. Paxton D.D., LL.D., the oldest trustee of the university died at his home in Princeton on Monday morning, November 28. Dr. Paxton was elected trustee of the university in 1866 and has served until the present date.

The prospects for next year's football team at the present time are very encouraging. Though the team will is seriously handicapped by the loss Captain W. L. Foulke, A. H. Short, E. S. Ward, A. F. King, K. B. Crawford and T. J. Burke who graduate in the spring much promising material remains. Following is a list of possibilities for next year's team and their respective positions: Fullbacks--Rulon-Miller, McCormick, Kirkpatrick, bard, and Hooks; halfbacks--Ritter, Simons, Willock, Preffier, Hamill, Munn, Hoagland, Stoever and Keith, ends--Tooker, Brasher, Doghlas, Rulon-Miler and Nuelle tackles--Cooney, Stanard, Herring, Daub, C. P. Brown and Brooke, guards--Dillon, Wallet, Holden, Rafferty and Bokum, centres--Dutcher, Carothers and Phillips; quarterbacks--Tenney, Heim, Ritter and Hampson,