PROF. MILYOUKOV TO SPEAK

In Sanders Theatre at 4.30 o'clock. President Eliot Will Preside.

Professor Paul Milyoukov will lecture on "The Origins of Russian Socialism," under the auspices of the History Club at 4.30 o'clock this afternoon in Sanders Theatre. President Eliot will introduce the speaker.

Professor Milyoukov, who has been giving a course of lectures at the Lowell Institute on "The Russian Crisis," will review the history of Russian socialism since 1842, when the movement first became continuous. Neither a socialist nor an anarchist himself, Professor Milyoukov will deal with his subject from the point of view of the impartial historian, and will also touch briefly upon the present liberal and social crisis in Russia.

Not only one of the greatest modern Russian historians, but also one of the most prominent figures in the Russian liberal party, Professor Milyoukov was born at Moscow in 1859, graduated from the Moscow University in 1882, and was for several years professor of Russian history in that institution. In 1894 he organized the University Extension in Russia, but on account of the democratic tendency of the movement was exiled to one of the smaller cities of Russia. Later he was called to the University of Sofia in Bulgaria, as professor of Russian history, but was again exiled. He returned to Russia in 1901 and declined Minister von Plehve's offer of the Ministry of Education. Since then he has been professor of Russian Institutions in the University of Chicago. Should the present liberal movement succeed in Russia, it is certain that he will held a high place in the government. He is the author of several Historical works, the best known being his "History of Russian Civilization," which has been translated into several languages.

The lecture will be open to the public, but seats on the floor will be reserved for members of the University until 4.25 o'clock