The December Graduates' Magazine.

The Graduates' Magazine for December opens with "A personal Tribute to Senator Hoar," by H. C. Lodge '71, who for nearly twelve years was Senator Hoar's colleague in the United States senate. Senator Lodge frankly does not attempt to discuss senator Hoar's place as an historic figure and a statesman, but rather gives his own impression of the character of the man. The sketch is both interesting and inspiring.

In an article on "Work for the New Harvard Medical School," Dr. H. C. Ernst '76 gives his view of what the new school should accomplish. Dr. Ernst sets forth a scheme to make the school a "University of Medical Science,--a place where students of medicine in all its branches may come, to fine an equipment perfectly adapted to their needs, and teachers prepared to foster and encourage research in all its directions for the demonstration of new truths, as well as to give instruction in all branches of present medical knowledge." The degree of Doctor of Medicine, conferred by such a school, would indicate that the holder had been trained on broader lines than those who qualify simply for the practice of medicine, who would receive the degree of "Bachelor of Medicine." Thus the school would become a "Graduate School of Medicine," with a variety of functions and offering a variety of degrees. The degree of M.D. would then have a scope as broad as that of the present Ph. D.

In "Harvard's First scholars, 1860-69," is found a brief recapitulation of the occupations and deeds of the first ten students for the classes of those years. "The Harvard Faculty in 1798 '97," is an interesting sketch of some of Harvard's instructors of over a century ago, taken from the recollections of Horace Bianey, 1797. E. K. Rand '94 and C. Kikkawa '83 contribute sketchkes of Joseph Trumbull Stickney '85 and of Charles Summer Griffen '95, respectively.