Review of the Monthly.

The March number of the Monthly contains an editorial that is worth both careful reading and concentrated thought. The gist of it is that the present haphazard choice of courses should give way to a systematic method of some kind, even at the cost of a partial sacrifice of the elective system. "A Recent Book on Greek Sculpture" is concise, to the point, and in a graceful style. It does what reviews frequently do not do--combines keen criticism with a sense of appreciation. "The Outside Dormitory: Pro and Con" is a mere collection of superficial commonplaces.

Of the verse, "Wind Voices" is delicately imagined and finely expressed. "Samson to Delilah" has unusual passion of conception and power of phrase.

Of the fiction, "Sam Dodge: Lobsterman," an exciting tale, and "A Sleep and a Forgetting," a delicate psychological sketch, are by far the best. "Vanitas," by a graduate of another college, is but an inadequate account in would-be sarcastic vein of some phases of Harvard literary activity. "Coffee Pot" is chiefly a matter of hackneyed dialect, and "A Cruising Idyll," though interesting, is slight. "Romance for One" could hardly be more insipid.