Honor Conferred on Professor Agassiz

Professor Alexander Agassiz '55, Director of the University Museum, has been elected on the eight foreign associates of the French Academy of Sciences, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Sir George Gabriel Stokes.

Professor Agassiz was graduated from Harvard College in 1855 and from the Lawrence Scientific School two years later. In 1885 the University conferred on him the degree of L.L.D. Professor Agassiz was assistant instructor in zoology from 1860 to 1865, and curator of the Natural History Museum, Cambridge, from 1874 to 1885. He has twice been a Fellow of the University, and twice a member of the Board of Overseers. He was appointment Director of the University Museum in 1902. Since 1885 he has spent much of his time in scientific investigation. He is the author of a number of books, among which are "Explorations of Lake Titacaca" and "Three Cruises of the Blake."

Professor Agassiz has been a corresponding member of the French Academy of Sciences for nineteen years, and is the fourth American to be elected an associate member.