SCHILLER COMMEMORATION

Literary Exercises in the Afternoon and Theatrical Performance in the Evening.

The one hundredth anniversary of the death of Friedrich von Schiller will be commemorated by literary exercises in the Fogg Lecture Room at 3 o'clock this afternoon, and a theatrical performance in Sanders Theatre at 8 o'clock this evening.

At the literary exercises, which will be open to the public, Major Henry Lee Higginson will preside, as President Eliot, who was to have done so, is prevented by a recent illness. Mr. W. R. Thayer '81 will speak on "The International Position of Schiller," and Professor Francke on "The Message of Schiller to Modern Life." Professor Munsterberg h.'01 will draw a comparison between Schiller and Goethe and will close the exercises by reading the epilogue written by Goethe for the representation of Schiller's "Glocke," given in Weimar in 1815 at the tenth anniversary of Schiller's death.

At 1 o'clock, previous to these exercises, the Deutscher Verein will give a luncheon in the Union to Mr. Heinrich Conried, of the Metropolitan Opera House, New York, and the speakers of the afternoon.

The theatrical performance, given by Mr. Conried, will be under the auspices of the Deutscher Verein, and will be for the benefit of the Germanic Museum. The program will consist of four of Schiller's masterpieces: "Das Lied von der Glocke," "Die Kraniche des Ibykus," "Das Verschleierte Bild zu Sais," and the third act of "Maria Stuart." The first and last of the numbers will be given by members of the Irving Place Theatre Company, of New York. The other two will be recited by Mr. Conried. "Das Lied von der Glocke" will be given with orchestral accompaniment and with tableaux by undergraduates, after the series of pictures by Kaulback.

"Das Lied von der Glocke" is a lay of the life of man, beginning with birth and ending with death, portrayed through the process of bell-making. The bell celebrates the baptism of the representative of human life whose youth, wanderings, love, marriage, prosperity and misfortunes are told in the progress of the poem.

In "Die Kraniche des Ibykus," Ibykus, a Greek poet, is murdered while on his way from Rhegium to the games at Corinth, a swarm of cranes being the only witnesses to the crime. When the body is found the people clamor for revenge and are called together to determine the murderers. The perpetrator of the crime is among those present. Just as he is reminded of his deed by the avenging song of the Furies, the cranes fly overhead. Surprised, the slayer betrays himself by exclaiming to his accomplice, "See there Timotheus; behold the cranes of Ibykus."

"Das Verschleierte Bild zu Sais" is the story of a youth who, desirous of knowledge, goes to Sais to absorb the learning of the Egyptians. The priests take him to a picture of Truth, covered by a veil which has never been lifted. At night the youth lifts the veil. What he sees is never told. All he says is, "Pity those who reach truth through some transgression; it will never be a pleasure to them."

The third act of "Maria Stuart" brings together Mary and Queen Elizabeth. When finally they meet in Fotheringay Park, Mary at first pleads submissively for freedom, but on being refused, reviles the haughty Queen to her utmost. Shortly after the meeting an attempt is made to assassinate Elizabeth, instigated, it is supposed, by Mary.

The following undergraduates will take part in the tableaux: H. Bowditch '05, L. G. Brooks 3L., C. W. Cate '07, W. C. Chick '05, L. W. Clark '06, N. Edwards '05, H. Hagedorn '07, T. G. Meier 1B., P. B. Olney 2L., C. E. Ware, Jr., '06.

A few tickets are still on sale at Sever's and after 7 o'clock will be on sale at the auditor's office in Memorial Hall. The casts are as follows: "DAS LIED VON DER GLOCKE." Der Meister,  Mr. Meyer-Eigen Die Meisterin,  Miss Ruhmkorf "MARIA STUART." Elizabeth,  Miss Arians Mary Stuart,  Miss Ruhmkorf Hannah Kennedy,  Miss Buenyer Leicester,  Mr. Freiburg Shrewsbury,  Mr. Meyer-Eigen Sir Amias Paulet,  Mr. Marlow Sir Edward Mortimer  Mr. Hagemann