Basketball Practice and News.

In a practice game last night the University basketball team defeated the second team by the score of 35 to 5. The practice was the most encouraging that has been held this season, but although the passing has improved the shooting of short baskets in still very poor. In the second half the team work of both teams was very good.

In order to afford opportunity for practice to men not playing on the University or second basketball squads a series of scrub games, to be played before the beginning of the mid-year period, will be held in a few days. Men may sign for the series in a blue book which has been placed in the Gymnasium, either as individuals or in teams of five, but no team will be allowed more than two men from the class teams. Fob trophies will be awarded the members of the winning team.

The following schedule has been arranged for the second basketball team:

January 12--Cambridge Manual Training School at Cambridge.

January 20--Winchester High School at Winchester.

January 24--Lowell Textile School at Lowell.

January 26--Lynn High School at Lynn.

February 4--Dean Academy at Franklin.

February 11--Andover at Andover.

February 13--Massachusetts Institute of Technology 2nd at Boston.

February 20--Dorchester High School at Cambridge.

February 22--New Hampshire College at Durham, New Hampshire.

The line-up yesterday was: UNIVERSITY.  SECOND. Gallagher, l.f.  r.f., Hall, Jones Underwood, r.f.  l.f., Murray, Lewis Snyder, c.  c., Crane, Miles Burnham, l.g.  r.g., Swift Griffiths, r.g.  l.g., Dapping, Procter