LECTURES ON "VERSAILLES"

First of Series by Prof. de Sumichrast in Fogg Lecture Room Tonight at 8.

Professor F. C. de Sumichrast will give the first of four lectures in English on "Versailles," this evening at 8 o'clock in the Fogg Lecture Room. His subject tonight will be "The Palace of the Great King." The dates and subjects of the other three lectures are as follows: January 9, "The Household of the King"; January 11, "The State Ceremonials and the Court Festivals"; January 13, "The Passing of the Splendour."

In the first lecture Professor de Sumichrast will give a history of the creation of the palace and gardens and the transformations which they have undergone, and in the second lecture will describe the French court, its origin, and the position of the king. The third lecture will deal with the more important receptions and entertainments that have been held at Versailles, and in the last lecture the closing scenes of the monarchy, enacted at Versailles at the beginning of the French Revolution, will be discussed.

All the lectures will be fully illustrated by stereopticon views, made from photographs taken at Versailles by Professor de Sumichrast, and from contemporary paintings, engravings and public documents. The lectures will be open to the public.