INTERESTING RECEPTION

President Eliot Speaks on College Life.--Its Dangers and Opportunities.

The annual reception given by the Faculty to the Freshmen and new students was held last night in the Living Room of the Union. Professor Shaler presided at the meeting and speeches were made by President Eliot, Professor E. C. Moore, and T. N. Perkins '91, a member of the Corporation.

President Eliot in his address endeavored to show how it is possible to obtain durable satisfaction from College life. Obviously a man must be in perfect physical condition in order to enjoy his life. It is essential, then, to live a clean, vigorous, wholesome life. To do this a man must remain free from the drunkenness and licentiousness, which will ultimately ruin his physique. A young man should not, however, lead an ascetic life. It is well to take an interest in all athletic sports, but they must be made subordinate.

The more interests a man has, the more satisfaction he gets out of life. A keen, active intellect is obviously the most desirable thing a man can get from his years at College.

Even before this, however, a man should strive for a spotless reputation. Live an honorable life. Never degrade a woman or oppress and cheat the weaker. Be honest, sincere, candid and generous, not only with one's time and money, but in one's opinions of other men. For it is now in College that the judgments of one's contemporaries are formed, and they are the ultimate tribunal in life. A man's reputation is continually forming among men, even those who may never have seen or spoken to him. Now is the time to look forward to the approaching events of after life and to prepare the ultimate favorable judgment among the men who know you. To sum up, life at College should be intense, interesting and honorable.

Dean Shaler, in introducing Professor Moore, spoke of the self-control which he always derived from attending the morning service in Appleton Chapel. Professor Moore enlarged upon this idea, telling how a man in the midst of life needs a lantern to give him his bearings. Some of us, he said, are here by the sacrifices of our parents; all of us are sent to College with great expectations from father or mother. Now is the chance by living up to these paternal ambitions to change our relation to father or mother from that of son to that of companion and supporter. We must command respect and invite confidence, by living without a shadow of concealment between ourselves and our parents.

T. N. Perkins, the last speaker, said that the College is now going through a difficult period of athletic transformation. Since about 1885 we have won only two crew races with Yale. Our football record is little better, and the baseball system is deteriorating. Every Freshman can materially help the athletic condition in the University by taking an interest in College sports. Athletics are a splendid mental discipline. Besides this they are physical training, and increase self-control.