Statistics of Bumping Races

The following statistics have been collected, which show the comparative standing of the different crews at the end of the races on Thursday. As the system of humping races had never been tried in the University before, it was necessary to assign places by lot and some crews therefore had more opportunities to make bumps than others. The strength of the various crews nevertheless has been ascertained fairly accurately.

Division A: Westmorly made one bump, held its position twice, and was not bumped; Claverly made no bumps, held its position twice, and was bumped once; Holyoke (first) made one bump, held its position twice, and was not bumped; Waverley-Craigie made one bump, held its position twice, and was not bumped; Brattle stree made no bumps, held its position twice, and was bumped once; Holworthy-Stoughton made two bumps, held its position once, and was not bumped; the Mt. Auburn street crew made no bumps, was bumped once, and remained in last place for two races; Dunster-Drayton made no bumps, was bumped twice, and did not row in the third race. The races in Division B were as follows: Matthews made no bumps, held its position at the head of the river three times, and was not bumped; Thayer made one bump, held its position twice, and was not bumped; Perkins-Conant made no bumps, held its position once, and was bumped twice; Beck-Fairfax made one bump, held its position twice, and was not bumped; Weld made no bumps, held its position three times, and was not bumped; Grays made two bumps, held its position once and was not bumped; Russell made no bumps, held its position twice, and was bumped once; Holyoke (second) made no bumps, remained at the end twice, and was bumped once.

Sixteen crews in all rowed during the year. The Brattle street crew came out a few days before the race, but Randolph disbanded a couple of weeks before. An average of 15 crews rowed every day. making a total of 120 men for a period of five weeks. Of this number fully one-half were green material and many had never been in a shell before. The average distance rowed every day was four miles. With this small amount of practice the development of the crews is very creditable both to the men and the coaches.

The Union will be open today to all Dartmouth men.