NO OPEN PRACTICE

Before the Yale Game.--No Scrimmage Yesterday.--Practice in Starting.

It has been decided to have no open football practice before the Yale game, as the coaches feel that the development of the team will be retarded by any interruption of regular secret practice.

In secret practice yesterday there was no scrimmage and the time was chiefly devoted to work tending to make the team start faster and together. To this end both the first eleven and a team of substitutes were given a long drill in starting from regular formations. The preliminary work consisted only of a short punting practice, in which Burr, Leonard and Hall did the kicking. The ends went down under the punts against opposing ends, but there was no tackling. After the work in starting, the first eleven lined up against the second team and went through plays very slowly, attention being given to form and to making the men start together. After this the University team and substitutes practiced running back kickoffs.

Carr, Nesmith and Montgomery, who have been out of the game for some time on account of injuries, were back in the line-up. Carr also started with the ball in the punting practice, and Nesmith in the kickoff work showed good speed. Hall played at quarterback, alternating with Newhall on the first eleven and in the line-up of the substitutes. They both got the plays off fast and the signal drill was very snappy.

Starr was not out yesterday. Nichols has a bad ankle, and only ran a few easy laps. He will probably be able to play today. Burr was out again, and his work on the kickoffs was excellent. Guild started with the substitutes, but was not in the line-up. Parker was given easy work, principally in goal kicking.

The teams lined up for starts and signals as follows: First Eleven--l.e., Leary; l.t., Brill, Montgomery; l.g., Burr; c. White; r.g., Kersburg; r.t., Squires; r.e., Knowlton; q.b. Newhall, Hall; l.h.b., Foster; r.h.b., Hurley, Wendell; f.b., Harrison.

Substitutes-l.e., Snyder, Bartels; l.t., Spear, Montgomery; l.g., Peirce; c., Barney; r.g., McFadon; r.t., Fultz; r.e., Pruyn, Macdonald; q.b., Hall, Newhall; l.h.b., Nosmith; r.h.b., Lincoln, Wendell; f.b., Carr.