SUBSTITUTES IN SCRIMMAGE

Weakened First Team Scores Three Touchdowns and a Safety.

The unfavorable weather conditions yesterday did not seriously interfere with University football practice, and in addition to signal drill and other detailed work, there was a scrimmage lasting about 25-minutes.

Many of the regular first eleven did not take part in the scrimmage, but ran through signals in the following order: l.e., Leary; l.t., Brill; l.g., Peirce; c., White; r.g., McFadon; r.t., Squires; r.e., Snyder; q.b., Gilder; l.h.b., Foster; r.h.b., Hurley; f.b., Lockwood. Burr, Starr, Kersburg and Hall were given a rest. Cavenee was out again and took a few easy laps. Knowlton was also out running around the field. Guild was out in football clothes, and will be able to play again in a few days. The injury to Paul's shoulder is so serious that he will be unable to play again this year. O'Brien was back in the scrimmage, but his work was mediocre. Some of the best running with the ball was done by Hanley, who, with Lockwood, has been taken to the first squad. Wendell and Nichols also did good running, keeping their feet well.

In spite of the many substitutes in its line-up the first eleven scored three touchdowns and a safety. Hanley carried the first kickoff back 42 yards by hard running and good interference. After rushing the ball to the 30-yard line, the first eleven lost it on downs as a result of Gilder's fumbles. The second was unable to gain, and after losing five yards on a fumble, lost the ball on downs. After a few rushes by the first Spear went over for a touchdown and Cunniff kicked the goal.

Snyder ran the next kickoff back 20 yards but fumbled, Peirce recovering the ball on the 30-yard line. Wendell made 10 yards around right end until stopped by Greenebaum's hard tackle. Steady gains carried the ball down the field and Wendell made the touchdown. Cunniff again kicked the goal. The first eleven was then given the ball on its own 25-yard line and after one rush Wendell punted to the second's 40-yard line. Peirce's offside play gave the second team five yards, but the first eleven immediately held for downs and rushed the ball to the 1-yard line. There as a result of more fumbles by Gilder the ball was lost on downs. Coach Brown's kick was blocked and the first eleven scored a safety. The ball was given to the second team on their own 25-yard line. Unable to gain by rushing, Coach Brown punted, but the kick was blocked and Hanley secured the ball on the 38-yard line. Nichols went around left end for 24 yards and Wendell scored.

The line-up: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. O'Brien, l.e.  r.e., Giddings Spear, l.t.  r.t., Schwarzenberg Parker, McFadon, l.g.  r.g., McLood Cunniff, Barney, c.  c., Fraser Peirce, r.g.  l.g., Wead Fultz, r.t.  l.t., Irving Snyder, r.e.  l.e., Edwards Gilder, q.b.  q.b., Sortwell Leonard, Nichols, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Greenebaum Wendell, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Shohl Hanley, f.b.  f.b., Jones