College Entrance Board Examinations

It has been decided by the Faculty that the corresponding examinations given by the College Entrance Examination Board may be substituted for the regular Harvard admission examinations in 1906 in the following elementary subjects: Greek, Latin, German, French, history (Greek and Roman), algebra, plane geometry, geometry (consisting of both plane and solid geometry), and physics. Examinations in the following advanced subjects may also be substituted: Greek, German, French, history, algebra, logarithms and trigonometry, and solid geometry.

Last year it was possible to substitute the College Entrance, Examination Board examinations in only elementary English, elementary Greek, elementary German, elementary French, elementary physics, advanced French, and a few of the history examinations.

This new decision will make it possible for a candidate for admission to Harvard College to pass the required number of points by taking only the College Entrance Examination Board examinations, with the exception that examinations in other subjects must be substituted for the Harvard examinations in advanced Latin and in chemistry, for which there is no equivalent in the Board examinations.

Preliminary certificates and certificates of admission will be issued in accordance with the rules governing the issue of the certificates which are given on the results of the regular Harvard examinations.

A detailed list of the examinations which may be substituted next year will be issued later.