WINTER TRACK WORK

Begins Jan. 5.--Over 500 Men Have Signified Their intention to Come Out.

Winter track work will begin this year, as usual, immediately after the Christmas vacation. On Thursday, January 4, there will be a meeting of all candidates for the University team, at which an outline of the work will be presented and men prominent in track athletic will speak.

As the team this year has to be developed almost entirely from new material it is essential that all men of tried and untried ability attend this meeting. Winter work is very important in the development of the team and the success of the University team next spring may depend upon the interest taken in the work during the winter. In order to interest as many men as possible a thorough canvass of the University has been made, and already over 500 men have signified their intentions of coming out for the winter work.

Regular practice will begin on Friday, January 5. The candidates will be divided into four or five squads, two to report in the morning and the others in the afternoon, thus making it possible for every man to work at his own convenience. Squad captains will be elected to help superintend the work. A board track will be built as usual on Holmes Field, where the sprinters will practice under the supervision of Coach Lathrop. The distance men will run on the roads about Cambridge, when weather permits.

Besides the class relay races, there will be one or two intercollegiate relay races, in which University teams will compete during the winter. In order to gain experience it is hoped that as many men as possible will enter the B. A. A. meet, which will be held early in February.