Uniforms at the Inaugural Parade.

Communications.

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The inauguration of the President is the most important public ceremonial in the United States, and it is perhaps appropriate that the universities of the country should have some share in it. If such a share is to be given them, it is natural that Harvard men should wish to take part. Is it not a fair proposition, however, that any participation by Harvard University should be characteristic of Harvard and comparable in dignity with our own Commencement procession and exercises? It is true that the official invitation from the promoters of the intercollegiate section of the parade suggests that each delegation be distinguished in the line of march by "college colors, flags, trophies, or other unique designs characteristic of Harvard life," thus manifesting "the truly patriotic and national spirit which animates the school," but it was to have been hoped that no delegation of Harvard men could conceive that they were doing anything but misrepresenting Harvard by competing with other colleges in a demonstration of that sort. Why should not the Harvard delegation enter the parade simply as Harvard men and gentlemen, and not depend on dressing themselves up like monkeys to distinguish their party in the line of march? If it is thought that a uniform of some sort is desirable, the ordinary black caps and gowns could be worn with perfect propriety, for the Harvard usage permits undergraduates to wear academic costume without hoods. For my part, I should be glad to place at your disposal two sets of caps and gowns, and I am sure there are a thousand graduates who would do the same. The dollar gowns of red calico served very well for the torch-light parade last fall, but that it could be seriously proposed to wear them on March 4 in honor of the President of the United States could hardly be believed if it were not for the official statement in Thursday's CRIMSON.  GRADUATE.