John Barrett Prizes.

The Hon. John Barrett, United States Minister to Panama, has offered three prizes--the first of $100, the second of $75 and the third of $50--to be awarded to the authors of the best papers on "The Relations of the United States with the Latin-American Republics."

Mr. Barrett states the object of the prizes to be "to do something to develop throughout the United States a wider interest in our political and commercial relations with Latin-America and to foster a more general study of Latin-American history, institutions, political, social and educational conusions, material and industrial resources, and commercial possibilities--especially as they affect the growth of closer ties of international comity and confidence."

The prizes are offered subject to the following rules of competition: (1) Papers submitted by competitors must not exceed 10,000 words in length; (2) Papers, accompanied by the full name and address of the writer, and statement of the class and college to which he belongs, must be mailed or delivered to an express company not later than Wednesday, May 10, 1905, addressed to the President of Columbia University, New York, N. Y., marked "For the John Barrett Prize"; (3) The prizes will be awarded under the direction of the following committee: N. M. Butler, President of Columbia University; Albert Shaw, editor of the Review of Reviews; and J. H. Finley, President of the New York City College and the results will be announced in the papers as soon as practicable after June 1, 1905; (4) A fully stamped and properly addressed envelope should be furnished for the return of the manuscript; (5) If possible, papers should be typewritten.