SUMMER COURSES IN GEOLOGY

Intercollegiate Courses Announced--Harvard to Give Two Courses in the West

An announcement of three summer field courses will shortly be issued by the Department of Geology and Geography. The first, a general course in geological field work, will be in charge of Professor T. A. Jaggar, who will lead the party through the Black Hills of South Dakota and the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming. This course is adapted to those who have an elementary knowledge of geology, and who wish to gain further outdoor acquaintance, with the subject in a new field.

A course of more advanced nature is offered to a limited number of students by Professor J. B. Woodworth, in connection with his work on the Pleistocene Geology of eastern New York.

Professor W. M. Davis will continue his studies of former years on the great Basin Region of Utah, and will receive advanced students in his party as fellow-workers.

All these courses will begin about the first of July and may be counted as half courses towards the degree of A.B., if continued for five weeks and satisfactorily completed. Several scholarships, varying in amount from one to two hundred dollars, are available for members of the courses, and will be awarded about June first.

Geological summer field work in the Colorado Rocky Mountains will be conducted, as in the past two summers, by Mr. Charles H. White of the Department of Mining and Metallurgy, beginning on August 15. The period spent in camp will be preceded by an excursion to the Grand Canyon in Arizona, Southern California, Santa Catalina Islands and San Francisco, returning to Colorado through Nevada and Utah. The total cost of this trip will be about the same as in former years, owing to a greater reduction in railway fares than usual.

Those who think of joining any of the above parties are requested to consult the instructors named at as early a date as practicable.

Circulars giving fuller account of the courses will be issued about the end of the month.