Dr. J. E. Sandys, Lane Lecturer.

Dr. John Edwin Sandys, fellow and lecturer of St. Johns College, and public orator of the University of Cambridge, will give a course of six lectures on "The Study of Latin during the Revival of Learning in Italy" in the Fogg Lecture Room, beginning Monday, March 20. Dr. Sandys comes here at the invitation of the classical department to deliver the annual series of lectures provided for by the gift of Gardiner M. Lane '81. Last year's lecturer was Professor S. H. Butcher of the University of Edinburgh.

Dr. Sandys, who is a graduate of Cambridge University and holder of an honorary degree from the University of Dublin, is a brilliant classical scholar. He has published five books on Demosthenes' speeches, works on Euripides' "Bacchae," Aristotle's "Constitution of Athens," and Cicero. He has also contributed many articles on classical literature to contemporary English magazines.

The subjects and dates of the six lectures are as follows:

Monday, March 20, "Petrarch and Boccaccio"; Wednesday, March, 22, "The Age of Discoveries"; Monday, March 27, "Theory and Practice of Education"; Wednesday, March 29, "The Academics of Florence, Venice, Naples and Rome"; Monday, April 3, "The Homes of Humanism"; Wednesday, April 5, "The History of Ciceronianism."

The lectures will begin at 8 o'clock and will be open to the public.