JUNIORS WON DEBATE

Excelled in General Delivery.--S. F. Peavey '07 Awarded Pasteur Medal.

The Pasteur Medal debate, the final interclass debate, held in the New Lecture Hall last night, was won by the Juniors by a vote of two judges to one. The Pasteur Medal, provided by a gift of Baron Pierre de Coubertin in 1898, after a close decision was unanimously awarded to S. F. Peavey '07.

The Juniors supported the affirmative of the question, "Resolved, That the president of the French Republic should be elected by popular vote," speaking in the following order both in their main and rebuttal speeches: J. W. Plaisted, A. N. Holcombe, J. A. Harley. The Sophomore team, composed of W. H. Keeling, S. F. Peavey and M. C. Leckner, spoke in the order named, but in rebuttal Keeling spoke first, Leckner second, and Peavey third. Both teams made use of too many quotations instead of developing their statements from their own arguments. In the rebuttal speeches the Sophomores met their opponents' arguments more effectively, but the Juniors spent too much time in reiterating former declarations. In general delivery and fluency, however, the Juniors were slightly superior.