Geological Excursion in the Recess

Professor J. B. Woodworth and Professor R. T. Jackson, with a party from the Geological Department, will leave Boston at noon today by steamer for Hallfax, Nova Scotia, returning before the end of the recess. The departure, previously announced for yesterday, was postponed. In the interests of Geology 12 and courses in palaeontology, the party will visit the Joggins coal mines at the head of the Bay of Fundy and will study the tides, which rise to unusual heights in this region.

Mr. P. S. Smith, of the Geological Department, will conduct an excursion to Woods Hole and Martha's Vineyard, leaving Boston Monday morning at 7.38 o'clock, and returning before the end of the recess. At Woods Hole the state fish hatcheries will be inspected, and on Martha's Vinevard the Gay Head section of mesozoic and tertiary strata, including stream diversions of the interglacial age, will be studied, an opportunity being given to collect fossils and lignites. All men who wish to go on this trip may apply to Mr. Smith.

Under the leadership of Professor Palache, of the Geological Department, a mineralogical expedition to several localities in Maine will leave the North Station, Boston, for Lewiston this afternoon at 1.15 o'clock, returning next Wednesday. The party will visit a tourmaline quarry at Auburn, and occurrences of gem tourmaline near Hebron and South Paris will be studied, with opportunity to collect specimens.

The members of Geology 10, under the leadership of Mr. H. C. Boynton, will spend six days of the recess in field work at Pondville, Massachusetts, beginning Monday. Men may take the morning train from Back Bay Station at 7.34 o'clock; and, returning, leave Pondville for Boston in the afternoon at 5.38 o'clock. The bed-rock geology of a small area in the carboniferous basin of Norfolk County will be studied and maps will be made of the rock outcrops in this region.

A party under Professor W. M. Davis of the Geological Department, left yesterday for Syracuse, New York, where three days will be spent inspecting the glacial marginal channels known as the "Ancient Niagaras."