Spring Football

By W. T. Reid

Thus far the response to the call for candidates for next season's University eleven has been exceedingly disappointing. Less than 40 men have reported for work, and many of these ceased coming out after the first week. When it is remembered that the great majority of football players now in the University is unknown to the present head coach, it will be readily seen what a handicap he will be forced to work under this fall unless he is in some way able to meet the men this spring and to see them at work. It is not expected that men who are occupied in the major sports should report but it is certainly reasonable for the football management to expect other men to come out in numbers. It is hoped that this appeal will make any further call unnecessary.

On Friday, May 26, a kicking contest will be held on Soldiers Field. Cups will be awarded for punting, place-kicking, drop-kicking, and goal-kicking.

The winners in the various events will be chosen by a board of coaches, on the basis of form, speed, accuracy, and distance. To compete in this contest a man must be eligible for the University eleven and must have reported on the field for practice no less than three times each week between now and the date of the contest. There will be coaches on the field every day to assist candidates. It is hoped that a large number of men will come out.