HARVARD, 12; BATES, 1

One-sided Game Won by Good Batting and Opponents' Errors.

The University baseball team easily defeated Bates yesterday afternoon by the score of 12 to 1.

The team showed marked improvement in every department over the work in the Amherst game. The men played with spirit and dash, batted hard, and used their heads well. The large score was due to strong and consistent hitting combined with errorless work by the infield, fifteen hits being made, and eleven assists. Matthews led the batting, making five hits out of five times at bat and scoring three runs. In fielding, Leonard made two put-outs and five assists, without an error. Castle pitched a steady and effective game. Although he struck out only three men, he kept the hits well scattered and gave no bases on balls. Taylor, who followed him, pitched equally reliably and allowed but one base. In the second inning Randall hurt his ankle and was relieved by McCarty, who played an excellent game, and made two difficult pickups of Leonard's throws.

In the first inning Randall and Leonard scored on a liner by Matthews, who followed on Dexter's base hit. Three more runs were made in the next inning by Castle, Randall and Leonard. In the sixth, Spencer and Leonard got their bases on errors and came home on hits by Matthews and Stephenson, who were, in turn, brought in by a passed ball by Hepburn. McCarty, by a timely two-base hit in the last inning, brought in two more runs. Bates' one run was made in the fifth inning, Rogers scoring on a three-base hit by Wilder.

The score:

Earned runs--Harvard 4, Bates 1. Three-base hit--Wilder. Two-base hits--McCarty 2. Stolen bases--Randall, Leonard, Matthews 2, Stephenson, Dex- ter, Schoenfuss, Castle. Bases on balls--by Taylor: Doe; by Doe: Schoenfuss. Struck out--by Castle: Wilder, Hepburn 2; by Taylor: Hepburn; by Doe: Tweed, Dexter, Schoenfuss 2, McCarty, Bradbury 3, Castle. Hit by pitched ball--Lord, Austin, Wight. Passed balls--Bowman, Hepburn. Time of game--1 h. 50 m. Umpire--Murray