MR. GOMPERS' ADDRESS

Review of History, Benefits and Purposes of Organized Labor.

Mr. Samuel Gompers, president of the American Federation of Labor, delivered a lecture on "Organized Labor's Potency for the Common Weal" last evening in the Union, under the auspices of the Phillips Brooks House Association.

Mr. Gompers stated that modern labor organizations are the legitimate successors of the trade guilds under the feudal regime; and he compared the condition of the workingmen who broke away from serfdom with that existing under our present free and competitive system of industry.

The beginning of the organization of labor coincided with the beginning of the factory age, when the long hours, resulting from the new use of artificial light, the little regard for human life, and the introduction of the labor of women and children called forth protests from all thinking men. The reduction of the working day from fourteen or sixteen hours to twelve was met with the same arguments of the impending ruin of industry and the invasion of the rights of workingmen as are now leveled against the eight-hour day. But it would be difficult for any man to convince laborers that their liberties have been lessened by reason of those associations with their fellow men which secure to them higher wages and leisure for study, recreation, and home life.

The trade unionist's desire for more, a desire that will continue and increase with every rise in his condition, is no different from the desire for more felt by all men from the tramp to the millionaire. Trade unions have given workmen a higher regard for the interests of their fellows and justify their existence, not only on grounds of justice and humanity, but on those of sound economy.

Mr. Gompers said that labor unions do not desire to establish a uniform wage, but merely a minimum wage. No effort is made to limit production. The chief aim is to promote industrial peace and steadily improve the condition of working people. Unions seek to avoid strikes when possible; but it has been found that the unions best prepared to strike are those which have struck least.

After his address Mr. Gompers signified his willingness to answer questions, and an informal discussion continued for an hour and a half.