Summer Tennis by Harvard Men

The showing of Harvard graduates and undergraduates in tennis tournaments this summer has been especially noteworthy. Besides winning the American championship in both singles and doubles, Harvard men won three of the four places on the international team which competed for the Davis cup in England, in July.

In the international tournament at Wimbledon, England, H. Ward '98 and B. C. Wright ex-'03 were defeated by R. F. and H. L. Doherty in a very., exciting match, 8-10, 6-2, 6-2, 4-6, 8-6. H. L. Doherty had previously defeated Ward in the singles by a close score. W. J. Clothier '04, who replaced Ward in the last day's play, was defeated by S. H. Smith 3-6, 6-4, 6-4, 6-3.

In the annual tournament of the Longwood Cricket Club, which was won by W. A. Larned, E. W. Leonard '03 was the only Harvard man to reach the semi-final round. He was defeated by C. Hobart, 7-5, 6-4, 6-0. G. L. Wrenn, Jr., '96 and R. Fincke, '01 were defeated in the final round for the Eastern doubles championship at the same tournament by Alexander and Hackett, 6-4, 6-4, 8-6.

In the annual tournament of the United States National Lawn Tennis Association at Newport, Wright won the national championship by defeating Ward, 6-1, 6-2, 11-9 in the challenge match. In the earlier rounds Wright had defeated Clothier, 9-7, 6-2, 6-2 and Larned 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, 6-2. In the same tournament F. J. Sulloway '05 was defeated in the third round by H. F. Alley, 6-3, 6-4, 7-5, and N. W. Niles '09, for two years national interscholastic champion, was defeated in the first hound by H. W. Slocum, 6-4, 6-2, 7-5.

In the championship doubles Ward and Wright successfully defended their title against Alexander and Hackett by the score 6-2, 6-1, 6-3.

In the tournament at Hotel Wentworth, N. H. during the early part of August, Sulloway won the singles, defeating H. C. Johnson 6-2, 6-3, 0-6, 6-3 and, paired with Niles in the doubles, defeated Sargent and Straw in the final round, 7-9, 6-4, 7-5, 6-2.