RULES COMMITTEE MEETING

In New York Last Night-Committees Amalgamated-Reid Elected Secretary.

The old Football Rules Committee and the new National Intercollegiate Football Conference met in joint conference in New York last night and passed a permanent resolution of amalgamation. By the provisions of this resolution the chairman of the joint committee was to be elected from the old committee, and the secretary from the new National Conference. Walter Camp of Yale was appointed editor of whatever rules may be adopted. After the amalgamation resolution had been passed, a ballot was taken, and L. C. E. Dennis of Cornell was elected as chairman, and J. A. Babbitt of Haverford as secretary. Mr. Babitt immediately resigned in favor of W. T. Reid, Jr., the Harvard member of the committee, who by the recent action of the Athletic Association had become a member of the new National Conference. Mr. Reid was unanimously elected secretary.

The old committee was composed of representatives of Yale, Princeton, Pennsylvania, Chicago and Annapolis. The joint committee is now made up as follows: L. C. Dennis, Cornell; W. T. Reid, Jr., Harvard; Walter Camp, Yale; J. B. Fine, Princeton; John C. Bull, Pennsylvania; Paul Dashiel, Annapolis; A. A. Stagg, Chicago; E. W. Hall, Dartmouth; C. D. Daly, West Point; J. A. Babbitt, Haverford; C. W. Savage, Oberlin; F. H. Curtis, University of Texas; Harry L. Williams, University of Minnesota; J. T. Lees, University of Nebraska.

The amalgamation was perfected after there had been two joint conferences. Then followed a discussion as to modifications of the rules. The members of the old committee who went into the new committee are pledged to various amendments to the rules. Mr. Dennis of Cornell said he was in favor of the forward line being open completely across the field, making an absolutely open game. This would leave the ends equally weak, but at the same time would make it possible for many plays through the centre.