TRACK AND BASEBALL WORK

More Candidates Reported for Track Events.--Cut in Baseball Squad.

It seems probable that the number of candidates for the track team this year will be larger than ever before. About 350 men are now practicing and a great many more are expected to come out after the mid-year examinations.

Since track work began on January 5, each of the four squads into which the candidates, now 390 in number, are divided, has been following a regular schedule. Practice in hurdling over two bars 10 yards apart is followed by dumb-bell and wand drill and special exercises under Mr. Schrader. The sprinters have for the last week been running the 40-yard dash, which combines practice in starting and in sprinting. The distance men have been running from a mile to two miles.

Assistant Trainer Quinn has especial charge of the weight men. There are 34 men trying for the shot put, and 10 candidates for the hammer-throw. Heavy men, whether experienced or not, and football men in particular, are urged to come out for these two events. The hammer-throwers are now working out-doors, when weather permits. The progress of the work in these events has been very satisfactory.

Special provision has been made for coaching high-jumpers at 3 o'clock, and pole-vaulters from 11 to 1 o'clock each day. Mr. Lathrop, assisted by A. Peterson 2Dv. is coaching the pole-vault candidates. The broad-jumpers will work with the sprinters until out-door work begins. Yesterday the sprinters ran a trial of two laps. These trials will be held every clear day hereafter. The distance men will have their trials this afternoon.

Below is given an additional list of candidates: H. S. Allen 3L., S. M. Alter '09, J. O. Bailey 1L., L. W. Bangs '08, W. L. Bowman 2L., A. H. Bowser '08, J. DeQ. Briggs '06, C. Brown '09, W. S. Brownrigg '08, S. H. Bush 1G., T. F. Callahan sC., M. S. Crosby '08, A. P. Crum '07, A. Dana '06, E. J. Dives '06, A. F. Dixon '07, J. J. Gaffney '08, H. Goepper '09, W. G. Graves '06, A. C. Haskell '08, A. R. Heath '09, J. J. Higgins '09, J. M. Horne 2Dv., W. M. Jones '08, H. E. Kersburg '07, S. V. Kibby '08, H. M. Landesman sC., J. A. McCreery 1G., J. E. McGillicuddy '08, C. A. Leavitt '09, A. P. Matthews 1L., W. C. Matthews sC., G. Mixter '08, D. C. Noyes sC., P. B. Olney 3L., R. G. Partridge '08, E. D. Pearce '09, C. Richardson '07, A. A. Silverstein 08, R. N. Smither '06, E. R. Sparrow '07, R. Tappin sS., R. H. Townsend '09, F. H. Toye '09, B. M. Vance '08, H. H. Whitman '06.

Baseball Practice During Past Week.

Since the cut, made last Monday in the preliminary University baseball squad, the remaining 30 men have practiced in the Cage every afternoon for about an hour and a half, under the direction of Coach Coburn. The pitchers and catchers have held light practice and have done battery work for the fielding candidates. Special attention has been given to this batting, and little or no fielding work has been done. By this system the most promising men are being picked, whose ability as fielders was tested before the cut.