BASEBALL PROSPECTS

Five Positions to the Filled.--Coaching Plans and Schedule.

The entire University baseball squad will be called out on February 12, when work will be recommenced in the cage. At the beginning of the work in January 46 men reported; 24 fielding candidates, excluding members of last year's University team, substitutes and Freshmen; and 22 battery candidates, including men from all classes. Of these only 6 fielding candidates, 9 pitchers and 7 catchers have been retained.

As a radical change from previous coaching plans there will be no professional coaches this year. The entire drilling of the team will be in the hands of Head Coach Coburn, assisted by Dr. E. H. Nichols '86.

Of last year's team Captain Stephenson '06 catcher, W. D. Dexter '07 centre field, C. R. Leonard '08 third base, A. E. McCarty '07 right field and H. A. Taylor '06 pitcher, will be able to play this year. This leaves five positions, including that of pitcher, to be filled, and as only 22 candidates have been retained the prospects for a strong team this year are not encouraging. Among the other candidates, who were substitutes last spring, or who have played on second or Freshman teams are A. L. Castle 1L. pitcher; F. W. Kembel '08 infielder, and H. Tweed '07 catcher.

The principal problems before the captain and coaches this year will be to fill the pitcher's and left fielder's position, and to develop the rest of the outfield, which was very weak last year. Other positions to be filled are those of first and second bases and shortstop. As fewer men have been retained from the upper classes than in previous years, Freshmen having any baseball ability should come out on February 12.

The schedule contains few changes. Apart from the southern trip, games have been arranged with Lafayette, Maine and Exeter which were not on the schedule last year, together with a second game with Princeton and only one with Dartmouth. Plans for the southern trip made it impossible to play West Point as in former years, but a game with Washington and Lee has been added to the trip. In case either of the first two games with Yale should result in a tie, as happened at Cambridge last year, the tie game will be considered as no game and will be played over on the same grounds.

The program of the southern trip has been radically changed. Leaving Cambridge on Thursday, April 12, the team will go directly to Richmond, Virginia, where, after three days practice, they will play Trinity, North Carolina, on Saturday, April 14, and Washington and Lee on Wednesday, April 18. After Practice on Friday afternoon, April 20, at Richmond, the team will leave for Washington, where they will stay over night, playing Annapolis at Annapolis on Saturday, April 2a. The team will return to Washington after the Annapolis game and will leave for Boston the same night, arriving in Cambridge Sunday morning. The University "H" will not be given for the games with the University of Pennsylvania.

In the following schedule all games unless otherwise stated, will be played at Cambridge:

April 4--University of Vermont.

April 7--Trinity, (Conn.)

April 11--Maine

April 14--Trinity (N. C.) at Richmond,

April 18--Washington and Lee, at Richmond.

April 21--Annapolis, at Annapolis.

April 25--Bates.

April 28--Dartmouth.

May 2--Amherst.

May 5--Holy Cross at Worcester.

May 9--Williams.

May 12--U. of P., at Philadelphia.

May 14--Andover, at Andover.

May 16--Lafayette.

May 19--Princeton.

May 29--Brown, at Providence.

May 26--Princeton, at Princeton.

May 29--Exeter, at Exeter.

June 2--Cornell.

June 6--Brown.

June 9--U. of P.

June 13--Bowdoin.

June 15--Holy Cross.

June 18--Colby.

June 21--Yale,

June 26--Yale, at New Haven.

June 30--Yale, at New York, in case of a tie