FOOTBALL WITH AMHERST A. C.

In Stadium at 3, New Plays Used to Advantage in Yesterday's Practice.

The University football team will play the Amherst Agricultural College team this afternoon at 3 o'clock in the Stadium. As this will be the first game that this team has ever played against Harvard it is difficult to estimate what the result will be. The Amherst eleven, however, is very weak, their game with the New Hampshire College last Saturday resulting in a score of 9 to 0.

On the University eleven Gray will play fullback in place of Mason, who received an injury to a ligament in his shoulder yesterday, which will probably keep him out of the game for two weeks. Burnham, Kennard, Miller, and Orr will be tried on the ends. Peirce will start the game at right tackle, but will later be replaced by Warren, who received a very slight injury to his leg a few days ago. Parker is expected to play the whole game at centre, and Hall at quarterback.

The teams will line up as follows: HARVARD.  AMHERST. Burnham, Miller, l.e.  r.e., Bartlett Osborne, l.t.  r.t., Sexton Burr, l.g.  r.g., Cutter Parker, c.  c., Page Kersburg, r.g.  l.g., Anderson Peirce, Warren, r.t.  l.t., Farley Orr, Kennard, r.e.  l.e., Chapman, Barry Hall, q.b.  q.b., Cobbs Foster, l.h.  r.h., Watkins Lockwood, r.h.  l.h., Crosby Gray, f.b.  f.b., Willis

The practice yesterday was not quite so encouraging as that of the previous day, the first eleven scoring but one touchdown and a safety in a 12-minute scrimmage. The forward pass and the onside kick, however, were used to good advantage. Before the scrimmage the squad was given a rather long and hard practice, which possibly accounts for the low score. While the second squad was passing the ball around and punting, the first team men tried ralling on the ball, a point in which they still need practice. The backs and ends, under the direction of Coach Brown had a very long period of practice in rushing, dodging, and tackling. Hall and Newhall tried a few drop kicks for goals from the field, and Burr got off several punts in excellent style. Toward the end the first team lined up for practice of the forward pass, the quarterback kick, and a few line plays. Eight substitutes were put in on the first team during the scrimmage.

Nourse kicked off for the second team to Peirce, who ran back from the 30 to the 35-yard line. Hall made 8 yards around right end. On the next play Hall passed to Lockwood, who in turn, threw the ball ahead, Foster finally downing it on the second team's 40-yard line. Kersburg made 10 yards more on an onside kick, after which Orr gained 14 yards on a forward pass. After gaining two yards through right tackle and 12 more on a forward pass, Foster was thrown for a three yard loss by Gilder. Peirce made one yard through the left end of the line, and then Gray tried for a touchdown, missing it by six inches. O'Hare punted out for the second team to Hall, who ran back two yards to the 35-yard line. Peirce made a few yards, after

which the team lost the ball on a quick kick. With the ball on the 4-yard line Somes was thrown back over the line for a safety. O'Hare punted out from the 20-yard line to Gray, who downed the ball on the 20-yard line after running back 20 yards. In the next scrimmage Hall regained the ball on a blocked punt. Lincoln gained four yards through right tackle, and then Gray made four more on two centre plays. The second team got the ball on downs on the 12-yard line, but lost it in the next scrimmage on a fumble. Lincoln made the touchdown on a 12-yard rush through right tackle. No attempt was made to kick the goal.

The line-up for scrimmage follows:

FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN.Burnham, Miller, l.e.  r.e., MooreOsborne, Hoar, l.t.  r.t., PhilippbarBurr, Gilmore, l.g.  r.g., BrockFraser, c.  c., NourseKersburg, Irving, r.g.  l.g., O'HarePeirce, Sibley, r.t.  l.t., RobinsonOrr, Kennard, r.e.  l.e., Harding, AppletonHall, q.b.  q.b., AdamsFoster, Lincoln, l.h.  r.h., GreenebaumLockwood, Grosvenor, r.h.  l.h., GilderGray, f.b.  f.b., Somes, Jone

The line-up for scrimmage follows: