SPIRITED PRACTICE

Touchdown in Five Minutes.-Forward Pass and On Side Kick Tried.

In the football practice yesterday afternoon special attention was given to the forward pass and the on-side kick. The plays were tried from a scrimmage formation by both the first and second teams with encouraging results, although the ball was frequently thrown or kicked too far ahead. Before and after the scrimmage the line men were given hard practice in blocking and breaking through under the direction of Coaches Marshall and Knowlton. Four new men reported at this practice: J. W. Brown '08, centre; M. Dore '09, centre; T. Roosevelt '09, end; and H. Tweed '07, half-back. In the scrimmage, which was particularly fast and spirited, Burr was tried for the first time in his old position at left guard. Kerans, who was put in at quarterback on the first team, ran the eleven well. On the offensive the University team showed decided improvement, rushing the ball over the line for a touchdown in five minutes of scrimmage. Foster and Wendell were steady ground gainers. Kennard, who played left end in the game last Saturday, turned his ankle slightly, but will probably be out again in a day or two.

Harding kicked to Osborne, who ran the ball in five yards to the 20-yard line. As the first team failed to gain. Foster punted, Osborne regaining the ball on the 50-yard line. Foster gained six yards on the next two plays and then punted, the ball being downed by the second team on its 20-yard line. In the next two scrimmages Greenabaum gained but one yard, but on the next play the University team was penalized 5 yards for offside play. Howes gained 3 yards through right tackle, and then the first team was again penalized. Two short gains followed, when Gray punted, Apollonio downing the ball on the 50-yard line. From this point Foster made a 20-yard gain around left end, which was followed by a forward pass on which Burnham made 12 yards more, Wendell gained 12 yards more, and then Foster was forced over the line for a touchdown. Parker kicked the goal.

The line-up for the scrimmage follows:

FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN.Orr, l.e.  r.e., MillerOsborne, l.t.  r.t., RobinsonBurr, l.g.  r.g. IrvingParker, c.  c., NourseKersburg, r.g.  l.g., O'HareInches, r.t.  l.t., GilbertBurnham, r.e.  l.e., HardingKerans, q.b.  q.b., KateWendell, r.h.  l.h., GreenabaumFoster, l.h.  r.h., HowesApollonio, f.b.  f.b., Gra