Lowell Institute Lectures Today

Professor B. Wendell '77 will deliver a lecture on "French Universities" in Huntington Hall, Boston, this evening at 8 o'clock. This is the first of a course of eight Lowell Institute lectures to be given by Professor Wendell on Monday and Thursday evenings on "Contemporary France."

All reserved seat tickets for this course have been exhausted, but people may apply for seats this evening before the closing of the doors at 8 o'clock.

The demand for tickets was so great that it has been decided to repeat the course, which will be given again, beginning November 21, on Wednesday and Saturday afternoons at 3.30 o'clock.

Prof. Peabody on "Spirit of Theology."

Professor F. G. Peabody '69 will deliver the second of the Lowell Institute lectures, given under the auspices of the Harvard Divinity School, at 3 o'clock this afternoon in King's Chapel, Boston, on "The Spirit of Theology." This is the second lecture in a course of two lectures on "The Study of Theology and the Preaching of Religion."

The program of the five remaining courses is as follows:

2. "Foreign Influences on the Religion of Israel," by Professor G. F. Moore--November 19, "Babylonian Influence;" November 26, "Persian Influence;" December 3, "Greek Influence."

3. "The Present State of Old Testament Criticism," by Professor C. H. Toy--December 10 and 17.

4. "The Absoluteness of Christianity and the History of Religion," by Professor E. C. Moore--January 7 and 14.

5. "The Authority Concept in Christianity," by Professor W. W. Fenn '84--January 21 and 28.

6. "The Historical Criticism of the Gospels," by Professor J. H. Ropes '89--February 4 and 11.

Tickets for these lectures may be obtained free of charge at King's Chapel, at the Divinity School, or by applying by mail, enclosing a stamped and addressed envelope, to the curator of the Lowell Institute, 491 Boylston street, Boston.

Prof. James to Lecture on Wednesday.

Professor William James '69 will deliver the first of a course of eight Lowell Institute lectures on "The Movement Called 'Pragmatism' in Recent Philosophy," in Huntington Hall, Boston, on Wednesday evening at 8 o'clock.

The lecture on Wednesday will be on "Philosophy and Life" and the other seven lectures, which will follow on consecutive Saturday and Wednesday evenings, will treat the subject under the following six heads: "The Pragmatic Method," "Common Sense Pragmatically Considered," "Applications of Pragmatism to Some Philosophic Problems," "The Many and the One," "Pragmatism and Truth," "Pragmatism and Religion."

Tickets to the first lecture, exchangeable at the door for course tickets with reserved seats, may be obtained free of charge by applying by mail to the curator of the Lowell Institute, 491 Boylston street, Boston, and enclosing one stamped and addressed envelope for each ticket desired. Dr. Rand of the Philosophical Library in Emerson Hall also has tickets to distribute.