HARVARD, 9; BROWN, 5

Interesting and Hard Fought Game. -- Brown Showed Greater Versatility.

Saturday afternoon the University football team defeated Brown in the Stadium by the score of 9 to 5, in a game full of brilliant features. The shifting formations, fake kicks, and trick plays of all sorts which were used by the Brown eleven on the offense, combined with the quickness of the team in following the ball on all occasions, were the main causes of Harvard's low score. The University eleven secured its only touchdown shortly before the close of the first half after Brown had been penalized 15 yards for interference with Newhall's fair catch on the 50-yard line. A few minutes after the second half started Brown carried the ball over Harvard's goal line, thus being the second team which has scored on Harvard this fall. Five minutes before the close of the game, with the score tied, 5 to 5, Starr made a fair catch on Brown's 26-yard line, from which Burr kicked a goal from placement and won the game.

On the whole the work of the University eleven last Saturday was not what it should have been, although at times, and especially in the first half, the team showed a semblance of the team play and rushing ability which characterized the Springfield game, and which was entirely lacking in the game with West Point. The linemen, who were rather slow in their work, tackled with some sureness in the close formations, but generally failed to stop the runner in the open field. On the ends Brown had a great advantage, for Kennard and Macdonald were too slow in getting down the field under punts and were often blocked out of plays by the speedy Brown ends.

For the backs Wendell played the best game, although he was ruled off the field by Umpire Burleigh for unnecessary roughness a few minutes after the opening of the second half. Mason, who played in Captain Foster's place at left halfback, was good on the defense, but, owing to the fact that, he has had little experience as a halfback, was rather weak on the offensive. Lockwood gained a great deal of ground but fumbled several times at critical moments. As in the case of Mason, he was very sure in his tackles, twice stopping Mayhew, the fastest Brown halfback, after the latter had made a big gain. Fumbles were frequent on both sides, and the ball was seldom caught by either eleven in the back field with surety.

Many penalties were inflicted by the officials, including those for offside play, holding, illegal use of hands, hurdling, roughness, and interference with a fair catch. Brown suffered slightly more in the actual distance thus lost than did the University eleven.

With a few exceptions the forward pass worked well for both elevens whenever it was tried, but on the onside kick only once was successfully used. Newhall's work in running the University eleven was excellent, particularly in the second half, when he carried the ball into striking distance by the aid of Burr's repeated punts. Starr, who replaced Macdonald at right end in the second half, played a fast game and was better in every respect than either of the other men who played at end. Burr and Kersburg were the main reliance of the University eleven on the defense, and at times on the offensive opened up the Brown line to good advantage.

For Brown, Mayhew, Kirley, and Schwartz played the best game. Time after time Mayhew nearly got free from his opponents when carrying the ball, and it was only by Lockwood's speed that he was stopped. Three times the Brown eleven tried for a goal from placement, but the passing was so poor that every attempt failed.

The Game in Detail.

Lockwood ran back Brown's kick-off 22 yards to the 27-yard line. Burr punted, and after Brown had been forced back to the 12-yard line on a blocked kick, Dennie returned the punt to Newhall, who carried the ball from Harvard's 50-yard line to Brown's 44-yard line. From this point the University team carried the ball to Brown's 12-yard line, where Lockwood lost it on a fumble. Brown failed to gain and punted, Newhall signalling for a fair catch on the 51-yard line. As Hazard interfered with the catch Harvard was given the ball on the 36-yard line. Macdonald made 21 yards on a forward pass, which enabled Wendell to score Harvard's only touchdown. Burr narrowly missed the goal.

On the kick-off Osborne, after fumbling, ran the ball back 11 yards to the 16-yard line. Wendell and Lockwood advanced the ball 11 yards in three rushes, after which Burr punted to Schwartz, who ran back 35 yards to Harvard's 35-yard line, where he was forced out of bounds. After a few short gains Macdonald tried a goal from placement which failed on account of a poor pass. Newhall got the ball outside on the 6-yard line.

During the rest of the first half the ball remained between the 30-yard lines. The features of the play were a 50-yard gain by Kirley on an onside kick, a 15-yard gain by Pryor on a forward pass, and the long runs made by Lockwood and Mayhew. Macdonald tried a second goal from placement on which he was forced to rush the ball on account of the poor pass. The half closed with the ball in the University team's possession on its 39-yard line.

The Second Half.

In the second half Mayhew downed Burr's kick-off on the 16-yard line. Schwartz at once punted, Newhall downing the ball on Harvard's 50-yard line. After getting the ball on a fumble, Brown carried it by means of several long rushes and one forward pass to Harvard's 1-yard line. Curtis made the touchdown in two rushes, and Hazard missed the goal.

During the remaining 15 minutes of play much punting was done in which the University eleven had a decided advantage, and it was in this period of the game that most of the penalties were inflicted, including the one which sent Wendell off the field for roughness. It was owing to Newhall's judgement in using a kicking game from this point on that Harvard won the game. With the ball in the possession of the University eleven on its 30-yard line, Burr punted, Schwartz downing the ball for Brown on his 49-yard line. On the second play Harvard got the ball on a fumble on Brown's 50-yard line, and Burr again punted to Schwartz, who ran out of bounds on the 17-yard line, but the ball was taken back to the 2-yard line on account of Schwartz's hurdling in the play. Schwartz punted, and Starr made a fair catch on the 26-yard line directly in front of the goal posts, from which place Burr kicked an easy goal. A few seconds before the end of the game Macdonald of Brown tried a third goal from placement from Harvard's 27-yard line, but the ball went wide of the goal posts and was downed by Newhall for a touchback just as time was called.

The summary:

HARVARD.  BROWN.Kennard, l.e.  r.e., Dennie, SwaimOsborne, l.t.  r.t., HazardBurr, l.g.  r.g., AylerFraser, c.  c., SteereKersburg, r.g.  l.g., WestervelsInches, Warren, r.t.  l.t., KirleyMacdonald, Starr, r.e.  l.e., PryorNewhall, q.b.  q.b., SchwartzMason, l.h.  r.h., MayhewLockwood, r.h.  l.h., CurtisWendell, Gray, f.b.  f.b., MacDonal