YALE DEBATE TEAM CHOSEN

Made Up of Elder, Hirsch and Hurwitz.--Latter Won Coolidge Prize.

At the final trials held in Dane Hall last evening A. H. Elder '07, G. J. Hirsch '07 and H. Hurwitz '08 were chosen to represent the University in the debate with Yale in Sanders Theatre on December 7. The Coolidge Prize of $100 for the most effective work in the series of trials was unanimously awarded to H. Hurwitz '08.

The other three men who spoke, F. W. Catlett 3L., J. W. Russell 2L. and I. L. Sharfman '07, will constitute the second team, from which the alternate will be chosen shortly before the debate. E. R. Brumley '07 presided, and the judges were A. S. Hills '00, R W. Kelso 3L., S. Curtis 2G., and E. M. Rabenold 3L.

Clear and logical argument characterized the trials and the speaking was forcible. The team is a very strong one, all three of its members having at various times been winners of the Coolidge Prize. Elder won the prize in the trials for the team that defeated Yale last spring and was a members of that team. G. J. Hirsch won it when he made the team that debated against Princeton last fall.

The subject for the debate with Yale is the same as that argued in the trials: "Resolved, That further restriction of immigration is undesirable. By 'further restriction' is meant the application of additional tests with the object of diminishing materially the number of immigrants. The nature of practicability of such tests is not to be discussed." Yale has the choice of sides, and will announce the decision in a few days.