Advocate Reviewed by Prof. Harris

By W. F. Harris.

The current number of the Advocate begins with three pleasantly written editorials, one on "the decline of the year," or the happy time following the strenuous season of football, the second a sensible protest against the idea "that Harvard had lost like gentlemen long enough," the third in advocacy of debating. The verse of the number includes a rollicking description of "The Maverick," who is evidently a free lance of the West, a use of the Word new to me, but a happy one, whether common or the author's invention; "Sistiana," honest and ambitions lines after reading "The Romaunt of the Rose," and "Autumn Wind," in which are some good lines.

In "Jones '62" the author ingeniously uses the machinery of the old Christmas story as made famous by Dickens; the scene is Class Day and the mysterious visitants are Jones and Smith of '62, wraiths who return for the edification of Wolcott and Randolph, who have deserted the bath-tubs of the Gold Coast for the traditions of Holworthy. The story is well told, save that the writer has not learned the lesson of literary temperance in keeping for another occasion lines undoubtedly clever but out of place in their present use. Jones is made to win the Victoria Cross, the Order of the Golden Fleece, and the Pasteur Medal, all in the Civil War. The introduction of farce mars the illusion. "The Man with the Soul" is an amusing story of a misunderstood undergraduate, a recluse with a sense of humor. Invited by two more experienced friends to an excursion to Darker Boston, he mystifies his companions by a very well done dry-drunk, to use the language of a generation ago.

"The Morning After" is the story of a house-party at which a young man and young woman are both smitten by remorse for having given way to flirtation when their hearts were elsewhere engaged. Each decides to take the early morning train; on meeting they make the expected explanations. All these stories are well told, although the adjective is somewhat consistently overworked and the temptation to yield to cleverness is not always resisted. By far the best thing in the number is "Toodles." This account of the adventures of an incorrigible child is among the best undergraduate work I can remember. If the author can often repeat his success, he will win many readers and place them all in his debt.