Yale Letter

The outlook for a successful football season next fall is fairly promising. Yale will suffer severely from losses by graduation but the unusual excellence of the freshman team should compensate for this in a large measure. The following ten men will be lost: Captain S. F. B. Morse, H. L. Roome, W. F. Knox, P. L. Veeder, C. W. Hockenberger, A. G. Erwin, R. W. Forbes, R. Linn, F. F. Wernecken, and C. B. Stuart. Those who will still be available are: L. H. Biglow '08, T. M. Dines '08, T. A. D. Jones '08s., H. Jones '08s., H. R. Paige '08s., A. E. Brides '09M.S., C. F. Alcott '08s., W. P. Bomar 08s.

The line will suffer little, but T. Jones, Bomar and Dines are the only backs available from this year's team. There is, however, plenty of material from the freshman team, of which the most promising for the backfield are Coy, Bingham, Philbin, Wheaton, Holt and Murphy. The loss of Forbes will be severely felt, but in addition to H. Jones and Alcott, Burch, who was injured early in the season and Logan of this year's freshman team promise well. In the line, the only places to be filled are centre and right guard. Cooney should develop into a good man for the former position, while for guard, Brown, Andrus and Hunt are the most likely candidates.

At the meeting of candidates for the hockey team, fifty-three men reported. Cross-country runs will be held for the squad until ice forms when the regular practice will commence. Several trips will be taken to St. Nicholas rink, New York, before the Christmas vacation. After the Christmas trip during the last week of vacation, the university and freshman training tables will be started. Five games will be played in New York after the holidays and practice will be held twice a week during the winter team at the St. Nicholas rink.

The schedule for the university basketball team exclusive of the Christmas trip, consists of twenty-four games, of which five will be played in New Haven. Among the latter are Harvard, Pennsylvania, Cornell and Columbia.

In the first of Yale's intercollegiate association football games held in New York last Thursday, Columbia defeated Yale by the score of 4 to 0. A game was scheduled with Princeton for last Saturday but was cancelled.

The catalogue of the Sheffield Scientific School which has just appeared shows several important changes in entrance requirements and courses of study Many additions have also been made to the Faculty. In the future, examinations offered by the college entrance board will be accepted as equivalent to the regular Sheffield examinations The total registration shows an increase of 95 over last year