CERCLE FRANCAIS LECTURES

Eight Lectures on Brittany by M. Anatole Le Braz.

The Hyde lectures, given annually under the auspices of the Cercle Francais, will be delivered by M. Anatole Le Braz in Sanders Theatre at 4.30 o'clock on the afternoons of February 7, 9, 12, 14, 16, 19, 21, and 23. The general subject, "Brittany," will be treated in the several lectures as follows:

February 7--"La Bretagne; la terre et la race."

February 9--"Le genie breton; les raports avec le genie des autres peuples celtiqnes."

February 12--"Caracteres essentiels de la legende. de la poesie et du theatre celtique en Bretagne."

February 14--"Le role de la Bretagne dans l;histoire de la nationalite francaise et de la tradition celtique dans l'esprit francais."

February 16--"De la part de la Bretagne et des influences dans la formation du genie de Chateau-briand."

February 19--"De la part de Pelement breton dans le genie de Renau."

February 21--"La Bretagne chez les grans ecrivains du dix-neuvieme siecle: Micheler, Flaubert, Taine, Loti."

February 23--"La Renaissance celtique en Europe; son influence sur la literature francaise contemporaine."

M. Le Braz is the ninth distinguished Frenchman to deliver the lectures which were founded by James Hazen Hyde '98. He is a native of Brittany, and a profound student of the customs and of the Celtic literature of the province. He has contributed largely to the French daily papers and to several of the leading periodicals, and has produced a number of books, several of which have been crowned by the French Academy. His most important works are: "La Chanson de la Bretagne," "La Legende de La Mort en Basse Bretagne," and "Paques d'Islande."

The eight lectures will cover the ground of M. Le Braz's researches and offer a varies choice of subjects relating to the land of Brittany. Commencing with a description of Brittary and the bretons the course will discuss the relation of the breton genius to that of other Celtic peoples the breton literature Brittany's part in French history; and the influence which Brittany has exerted over such famous writers as Chateaubriand, Renan, Michelet, Flaubert, Taine, and Loti, concluding with an estimate of the Celtic Renaissance on French literature.

After delivering his lectures here M. Le Braz will start o a tour of lectures to be given in various cities of the country under the auspices of the Alliance Francaise.

Tickets for the course may be obtained from E. C. Edson. 20 Ware street, to whom applications should be made in writing. No person may apply for more than four seats.