Practice and Plans of Track Squad

Between 250 and 300 candidates for the track team, including men trying for all events, are now practicing regularly. For most of the men the work consists chiefly of a staying up character, the distance men running on the road and the sprinters on the board track. Last week considerable time was devoted to discovering likely candidates for the high hurdles and this week men are being tried out over the low hurdles. There are practically no men of experience in either of these events, but a number of possibilities have been found. The pole vaulters have begun practice, the new men under Assistant Coach Quinn, and the weight events are also coming along slowly but fairly satisfactorily. A number of men are in training for the Lawrence Light Guard Meet at Medford next Saturday, and for the open events in the interscholastic on February 28.

The plans for the spring meets are still somewhat indefinite. The first event of importance will be a two-mile relay race with Yale and Cornell at the N. Y. A. C. meet in New York on March 13, for which all half-milers will be expected to commence training today. A number of individual entries will also be made in this meet in order to give the new men experience. In case the track on Soldiers Field is in shape early enough it is hoped to hold both the handicap and interclass meets before the spring recess. From the showing made in these and in time trials two relay teams will probably be chosen to represent the University in the Pennsylvania Relay Carnival on April 28. Several of the men who do best in these meets will also be sent to Philadelphia.