COLUMBIA WON BASKETBALL

Through Fouls of University Team.--Game With M. I. T. Tonight at 8.

The University basketball team was defeated by Columbia Wednesday night in the Gymnasium by a score of 17 to 13, thus losing second place in the intercollegiate basketball league. The game although fast was characterized by very poor playing on both sides. The University team threw the most goals from the floor, but Columbia won on account of the number of fouls made by the members of the University team, and on account of Moore's continued accuracy in throwing goals for Columbia from these fouls. In all 15 fouls were called on the University team and 11 on Columbia and from these Griffiths threw 3 for the University for Colombia Moor threw 9 play of Columbia was superior to that of the University team. A number of times Amberg tried the combination signals for trick plays at the toss-up, but on account of the agility of Ryan, his opponent, Columbia generally obtained possession of the ball. Throughout the game there was much hard body checking and a tendency on the part of all the players to dribble out of bounds was evident. Quigley, toward the end of the first half broke up all team work of the University team by attempting a number of long shots for baskets from the floor.

At the start Columbia assumed the offensive and threw the first basket which was shortly afterward followed by a goal from a foul, making the score 3 to 0 in favor of Columbia. At this point the play of the University team became steadier and at the end of the half the score was 6 to 6. In the second half Amberg made the first goal and then for 10 minutes Columbia scored repeatedly by goals from fouls. The final score of 17 to 13 was made several minutes before the end of the game.

The summary: HARVARD.  COLUMBIA. Quigley, l.f.  r.g., Cuthell Broun, Brooks, r.f.  l.g., Hurley Amberg, c.  c., Ryan Burnham, l.g.  r.f., Moore Griffiths, r.g.  l.f., Mellitzer

Score--Columbia, 17; Harvard, 13. Baskets from the floor--Amberg 3, Griffiths 2, Hurley 2, Ryan, Mellitzer. Baskets on fouls--Griffiths 3, Moore 9. Fouls called--on Harvard, 15; on Columbia, 11. Referee--W. M. Knox, Everett Y. M. C. A. Timekeepers--E. Hess, Columbia, and E. L. Grant '06. Scorer--E. S. Allen '09. Time--20-minute halves.

Game With M. I. T. in Gymnasium at 8.

The University basketball team will play Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the Gymnasium this evening at 8 o'clock.

The work of the University team since the Princeton game has been very discouraging. The men foul frequently, are slow in starting players, and give their opponents many opportunities to shoot for baskets. The team work is good, but most of the play is lifeless. The for-wards especially are weak.

The Technology team plays a hard and aggressive game, and is strong at shoot- ing baskets. This team has recently won and lost from the Worcester Polytechnic Institute, which the University team defeated by the score of 42 to 8 on February 13.

Admission tickets at 50 cents each will be on sale at the door.

The line-up:

HARVARD.  M. I. T.Quigley, l.f.  r.g., BurleighBroun, r.f.  l.g., LamontAmberg, c.  c., WentworthBurnham, l.g.  r.f., DeavittGriffiths, r.g.  l.f., Kinnea

Game With M. I. T. in Gymnasium at 8.

The line-up: