HARVARD WON HOCKEY

With Brown, 4 to 0.--Interesting Game But Poorly Played and Rough.

The University hockey team in its first intercollegiate game defeated Columbia at the St. Nicholas Rink New York, Saturday evening by the score 7 to 0.

The work of the University team was a distinct and unexpected improvement over any practice this season. The team play of the forwards was generally consistent and they followed back exceptionally well. The shooting, however, as erratic at times. D. Newhall used his weight to advantage in checking the Columbia forwards and his lifting was good. Willetts and Ivy proved a strong combination and were especially effective in stopping the puck after a rebound. The evidence of team play shown at the beginning of the game by the Columbia forwards soon weakened and they failed to follow back especially in the second half.

M. Newhall scored the first point taking the puck from Miller as he was bringing it from behind Columbia's goal. The second and third points were made by Macleod, one after receiving the puck from a scrimmage the other the result of a hard rebound shot and a quick pass by Poll. The period ended with the score 3 to 0 in Harvard's favor.

The first goal in the second period was made by Pell on a pass from Townsend. M. Newhall scored the next on a long pass from Pell. After cleverly carrying the puck the length of the rink D. Newhall shot the sixth goal. The last point was made by Macleod on a swift shot from the side. Although two players on each team were ruled off at different times the game was not especially rough.

The summary: HARVARD.  COLUMBIA. Pell, l.e.  r.e., Knight Townsend, l.c.  r.c., Brady Mackleod, r.c.  l.c., Armstrong M. Newhall, r.e.  l.e., Miller D. Newhall, c.p.  c.p.Jackson Willetts, p.  p., Willis Ivy, g.  g., Easton

Score--Harvard, 7; Columbia, 0. Goals Macleod w, D. Newhall, M. Newhall 2, Pell. Referee--H. Hornfeck, New York Hockey Club. Time--20-minute halves.

The number of games played, won, and lost to date by the members of the Intercollegiate Hockey Association are as following:   Played.  Won.  Lost. Harvard,  1  1  0 Princeton,  2  1  1 Columbia,  2  1  1 Brown,  1  0  0 Yale,  0  0  0

The next intercollegiate game for the University team will be with Princeton next Saturday night at the St. Nicholas Rink.