COLUMBIA, 22; HARVARD, 17

University Basketball Team Completely Outplayed.--Fast Game on Both Sides.

The University basketball team was defeated by Columbia yesterday evening in New York by a score of 22 to 17.

This defeat will prevent the University team from securing second place, even though it wins from Yale this evening. The University team was completely outplayed by Columbia, and only prevented a higher score by the occasional efficient work of the defense.

The game was fast, but was marred by the poor judgment of the referee, who paid little attention to Columbia's frequent fouls. The Columbia team was strong on block plays under the basket, and won the game by three very long shots. At the end of the first half the score was 13 to 6 in favor of Columbia. During the second half the game was much rougher owing to the negligence of the referee.

The summary: HARVARD.  COLUMBIA. Quigley, l.f.  r.g., Cuthell., Fetrich Broun, r.f.  l.g., Hurley Amberg, c.  c., Ryan, White Burnham, l.g.  r.f., Mellitzer Griffiths, r.g.  l.f., Moore

Score--Columbia, 22; Harvard. 17. Coals from the floor--Griffiths 3, Moore 3, Quigley 3, Cuthell 2, Hurley 2, Amberg 2, Mellitzer, Ryan. Goals on fouls--Moore 4, Grifiths. Fouls called--on Harvard, 9; on Columbia, 2. Referee, H. L. Lochmullo. Time--20 minute halves.

Game With Yale in New Haven at 8.15.

The University basketball team will play its last game of the season with Yale at the Yale Gymnasium in New Haven this evening at 8.15 o'clock.

The Yale team was defeated by Harvard on February 7 by the score of 25 to 9, and is now fourth in the intercollegiate league, having won four games and lost five. Yale is good on the defense, and has shown some consistent team work in the past few weeks, but the chances of winning slightly favor the University team after their decisive victory earlier in the season.

The probable line-up; HARVARD.  YALE. Broun, r.f.  l.g., Rockwell Quigley, l.f.  r.g., Noyes Amberg, c.  c., Fargo Griffiths, r.g.  l.f., Murphy Burnham, l.g.  r.f., Humpstone

The present standing of the teams in the intercollegiate league is as follows:   Won.  Lost.  Percent. Pennsylvania  8  1  .888 Columbia  7  3  .700 Harvard  5  4  .555 Yale  4  5  .444 Princeton  3  7  .300 Cornell  1  7  .125

Game With Yale in New Haven at 8.15.