WARNING FROM CAPTAINS

Members of University Squads Urged to Get Off Probation at Hour Examinations.

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

We wish to make the following announcement through your columns:

Late last spring the captains of the University crew, the University baseball team, and the University track team published a letter warning "every man in the University who is on any athletic squad, or who intends to try for a team in the future, that he must keep up in his studies and be absolutely regular in attending lectures while in Cambridge. It is the imperative duty of every man now in training." It said, "and of every man who proposes to come out for a team next fall, to do his College work faithfully to the end of the year, and to get a good standing in his final examinations."

It was pointed out that "it is impossible to believe that * * * undergraduate sentiment would tolerate such virtual desertion of a team, if the extent of the harm done was fully realized." The letter concluded, "since it is fully as disgraceful for an athlete to get on probation as to break training, and should be so regarded, it has been decided in view of these facts, and of the fact that the chances of success for the baseball team, the crew and the track team this spring and of the football team next fall are seriously jeopardized by reason of regular members of the squads and promising candidates being on probation, that after the coming hour examination the names of all the men useful to the squads of the University teams who are then on probation shall be published." B.K. STEPHENSON.   E. J. DIVES.   O. D. FILLEY.   H. FOSTER, JR.