SMITH PROFESSORSHIP

Filled by Appointment of Mr. Bliss Perry.--Vacant Since 1866.

At the last meeting of the Corporation, Mr. Bliss Perry was appointed Professor of English Literature, from March 1, 1907. This Professorship replaces and is in succession to the Professorship of Belles Lettres, which has hitherto been attached to the Smith Professorship of French and Spanish Languages. The previous incumbents of the combined Professorships have been George Ticknor from 1817 to 1835, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow from 1836 to 1854, and James Russell Lowell from 1855 to 1866. Since the death of James Russell Lowell, the Professorship has been vacant.

Mr. Perry received the degree of A.B. from Williams in 1881 and an A.M. in 1884. From Princeton he received the degrees of A.M. and L.H.D. in 1890 and in 1900 respectively. From 1886-93 he was Professor of Elocution and English at Williams; from 1893-99, Professor of Oratory and Aesthetic Criticism at Princeton; and during 1899-1900, Professor of Belles Lettres and English Language and Literature at the same University. Last year Mr. Perry gave a number of lectures in English 28. Since 1899 he has been editor of the Atlantic Monthly.

The following appointments were also made:

Kuno Francke, Professor of History of German Culture, from September 1, 1905. This professorship was established by vote of the Corporation last November, in which the Overseers concurred last January. It is supported in part by the income of the Henry Villard Fund established in 1902, by the bequest of the late Henry Villard of New York.

C. A. Adams, Professor of Electrical Engineering, from September 1, 1906.

C. Harrington '78, Professor of Hygiene, from September 1, 1906.

F. N. Robinson '91, Professor of English, from September 1, 1906.

W. H. Schofield, Ph.D., '95, Professor of Comparative Literature, from September 1, 1906.

G. L. Vogel M.'00, Assistant in Laryngology, from March 1, 1906, for the remainder of the academic year.

The following resignations were accepted:

J. M. Peirce '53, Perkins Professor of Astronomy and Mathematics, to take effect March 1, 1907.

E. Hale '79, Assistant Professor of Homiletics, to take effect September 1, 1906.

J. I. Westengard L.'98, Assistant Professor of Law, to take effect March 1, 1906.

W. R. Brinckerhoff '97, Instructor in Pathology, to take effect March 1, 1906.

A. S. Pearse, member of the board of Examination Proctors, to take effect March 1, 1906.

C. H. Derby '03, Proctor, to take effect March 1, 1906.